Diesel Heaters - Forced Air & "Hydronic"

E33MikeOx

Member II
I've heard good things about the Wallas diesel furnaces, but nothing about these units:

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/online-store/wallas-nordic-dt-diesel-stove-heater/

I came across one in an old Columbia 36 and didn't realize what it was at first. It looks just like an electric induction stovetop, but it's diesel powered, and includes a fan in the top for heating the cabin. A bit on the pricey side, but if you're looking for a stove and a heater, and wish to avoid propane, simplify installation, and save space, they could be a good solution.

Any experience with these amongst the group here?

We sold our sailboat and bought a smaller power boat last spring. It came with an abomination of an electric/non pressurized alcohol stove. Wife absolutely hated it. In October, we installed a Wallas stove/heater. Wife loves it. With the lid up, it does a great job cooking (similar to a ceramic top stove). With the lid down in the heat position, it heats up the cabin like a forced air heater but the lid doesn’t get hot. The heater has an 11 minute start up cycle, so heat is not instantaneous. However, it also has a thermostat to adjust temperature up or down as needed. It keeps our cabin nicely warm on rainy, 40 degree days on a low setting. I cannot address the DIY process. We had our stove professionally installed, along with the diesel tank. Supposedly, 2 gallons of diesel with provide 100 hours of cooking/heating. We’re looking forward to a earlier and longer cruising season this year. Mike Oxborrow (former E-33 owner – JP Foolish and now Bayliner 2859 Ciera Express – Forever Foolish.