• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How does the yoke housing drain?

hcpookie

Member III
On an E27 - the wheel yoke housing, just below the wheel, where the emergency tiller is attached - where is the water supposed to go? My '75 E27 had about 2" standing water in this housing (so THAT is where the drip was coming from) and I had to mop the water out - no drain hole that I could see. The wood base mounts area nearly completely gone...

I will first assume there is a clogged drain, but where?

If there is no drain hole, should I assume this area is not ever supposed to get wet?

Would it be a bad idea to drill a hole on on the port side, thereby allowing water to drain into the rear-most bilge area near the fuel tank?

TIA,
- Jerry

hcpookie

Member III
Bump. Any thoughts on drilling through this area? I'm going to work on the boat tomorrow and plan to drill the holes. I looked and the area immediately below the housing is clear - no wire assemblies or anything like that. Apparently just one layer of fiberglass. Doesn't appear to be cored.

If I "oops" this, I can always plug them later with epoxy or resin, so I'm not "too" worried about it but I just want to be sure I don't screw it up more than it is... using the KISS method. My plans are to put some weather stripping around the access door to prevent the water from finding its way in there. That, and monitor after rain.