• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Wheel Cover

jgarmin098

Member II
Hi Folks:

I'm in need of recovering my steering wheel. Currently, I have it covered with three strand cotton twine using a (I think this is the correct name for it) french weave. It creates a spiral effect. Center rudder is maked with a Turk's Head.

I'd like to remove this as it has finally worn out after 6 years. I want to replace it with parachute cord and use the weave that results in a line of knots? around the inside diameter of the wheel. (That's a tough one to describe in words.) I need help finding a description of how to make this pattern. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Jack
E-32-3

u079721

Contributing Partner
Ringbolt Hitching

What you are describing is called ringbolt hitching. You can see an example of it using 3 or 5 strands on page 314 of Brion Toss's Compete Rigger's Apprentice. Or if you can find a copy of the Ashley Book of Knots, you can read about it on page 569.

Looks like a lot of work to me, but perhaps it would be something to keep you busy over the winter. Good luck!