• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Heat Exchanger Zincs

AFFIRMANCE

I have a 1985 Ericson 32 with a Universal diesel. The brochure says it is fresh water cooled. The previous owner didn't keep a maintenance manual but someone said I need to change the zincs in the heat exchanger. Do I have zincs in the heat exchanger that need replacing? If so, where?
Thanks!

Ray Rhode

Member III
Look for a plug on the bottom on the heat exchanger. Before you pull it remember to close the raw water seacock. Mine is on the port side. It is a small pencil zinc and you may have to get a longer one and cut it to length.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

diamondjim

Member II
Zincs

On My exchanger, they look like "screw in plugs" or drain plugs made out of zinc. I'm not sure exactly how yours are configured but that is the general idea. Drain the system, unscrew them and take them to your supplier so you get the right size.
You can get longer life from the new ones by flushing fresh water thru the exchanger after you return to the dock. The exchanger will benefit as well.
<> Jim

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Flush it with fresh...

To flush it out with fresh, you'll have to rig in a Y off your fresh water source (usually your fresh water tanks, but I've also seen people install a hose in their cockpit locker that they hook up to the dock hose on return) to your raw waterline (just after the ball valve).

When you get back to the dock, you throw the Y, and it starts sucking in fresh water. It will extend the life of your heat exchanger quite a bit.

You should also be blowing all the seawater from your headlines and sink inlets (if you have them) as well...

//sse