• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Battery Switch Panel mounting ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have purchased a new Blue Seas (part number 8080) panel. Plan is to replace the old 1-2-all rotary switch that Ericson installed in '88.
On our particular boat the original switch was recessed into the side of the teak bulkhead right beside the engine. This puts it low and just inside the doorway to the aft cabin. (Sounds like baseball talk... :) )

I kinda-sorta want to install the new panel in the same place. One challenge to overcome is the total thickness of the new panel: about 3 inches.
I would prefer it not to intrude into the engine space anymore than the backside of the existing switch, about an inch.
It looks like I need to frame out with a surface teak "picture frame", and also allow about an extra inch of so of proud framing to shield the panel from errant knees coming in contact with the switch... :rolleyes:

Anyone else here done something like this? Another Ericson owner I know has a 32-3 that the prior owner did this same conversion on, and the switch is quite vulnerable to being kicked, being on the face of the quarterberth FRP base panel. It is handy to use, and I certainly do not want to imply that I know of a better place for it on that boat.

The thing is, the switch needs to be quite near the battery bank(s), and the factory location does this perfectly. I just may have to give up some shinn room.

Any Olson 34 owners with comments, ideas, or experiences, chime in! OK?
And the rest of you with 80's series Ericsons, same request.

Since I am assuredly not (!) a finish carpenter, this little frame may get farmed out to a shop, once I get a mock-up produced.

As always, your inputs are appreciated.

Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Would hinged acrylic cover allow you to spare the extra inch of proud framing? Either way, it might be a more comprehensive way to protect the panel, and I wouldn't think it would be too bothersome to open when needed.

Nate