• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar 4R Portlight Drawing

Jim Mobley

Member II
I've noticed that there have been several discussions regarding the dimensions of the Lewmar 4R and 4L portlights and whether or not they will fit the openings in our boats.

I can't (yet) answer the second part, but I have downloaded Lewmar's drawing of the 4R portlight, dimensioned it in Imperial units and created a .pdf of the drawing. The .pdf is a 24 x 36 inch (Architectural "D") sized sheet and if you print it on a plotter will be scaled 1:1. The drawing is attached.

Feel free to e-mail with questions.

Attachments

• Lewmar 4R Portlight.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 270

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Can anyone confirm this size issue for later models boats, say for an 89' 38-200 series? I printed the pdf and will be back to the boat today to take measurements.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Worked for me

I purchased one in the fall of 2003 and it fit perfectly in the cutout on my 1989 E-38.

lbertran

Member III
What about the other fixed port?

The Lewmar 4L and 4R replace the forward fixed port but what about the aft fixed port. It is shaped slightly differently from the 4L and 4R. Has anyone found a replacement for that?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Took some measurements yesterday and it looks like the 4R and 4L will be good fitting replacements for the fwd fixed ports on the 89' E38-200. Doesn't look like an available replacement for the aft ones. I spoke to a guy from Bomar at the U.S. Sailboat show in Annapolis last week and he advised that they could make any extruded pixed port you want via a custom order process. We did not discuss price but I am sure its "If you have to ask...". I had my ports rebuilt by a local guy and they appear to be leaking a little. I ahve not had time to discuss with the shop owner and am surprized because his work in the past has been flawless. Will keep you posted.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Did you get a contact for the custom ports? If there were enough interest here for an order for half a dozen, it might make a big difference to the price.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Jim Mobley

Member II
If Bomar can make an opening port to fit, I'd certainly buy two. I'd hope we could get the price below $750.00, each.

In looking at Bomar's website, http://www.pompanette.com/bomar, they have lot's of different models. Closest to the factory look (at least on my old boat) is the 3000/4000 series of extruded aluminum ports. They list a outside bend radius of 2-5/8" for this series. The Lewmar 4L/R have an outside bend radius of 2-5/16" so I guess question number one would be can Bomar bend their extrusion to that radius. (I realize that we're talking about the aft saloon portlights. The aft saloon portlights on my boat have the same bend radius as the forward ones which we've determined are the same size as the Lewmar 4L/R)

I won't be down to the boat until the weekend of the 29th and I don't know if I'll have the time, but I might be able to pull one of the portlights out of the boat and measure it in detail. I'll post the drawing if I get the chance.

If anyone wants drawings in .dwg or .dxf format just let me know.

Jim Mobley

Member II
Drawing Attached

Here's a drawing of the aft saloon fixed portlight on my E-29. This is based on measurements with the port installed in the boat, so I'd give it a tolerance of + or - 1/32 inch at least. I've attached a .pdf version. Tried to attach a .dxf, but the forum won't allow that file format. If you want it, just e-mail me.

I'm going to e-mail this drawing to Bomar and see what they would charge to make an opening port to fit the hull opening. I'll post that price when I get it.

Attachments

• Aft Saloon Portlight, E-29.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 149

lbertran

Member III
Interested In Bomar Port

Jim-
Please post what you hear from the folks at Bomar. I'm interested in a replacement port. Thanks.
Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3

Jim Mobley

Member II
Bomar seems to be a dead end

Well, it looks like Bomar can't do anything for me/us. :( You can read the e-mail string below for details. I'm a bit surprised (to say the least) that a manufacturing company in 2005 couldn't open AutoCAD drawings--oh well.

I've asked for drawings of the model that she said was close, have received no reply yet. At this point I don't really expect to.

We wanted to replace both saloon portlights with matching, opening ones. We'll probably just replace the forward ones with the Lewmars and be done with it.

Jim Mobley
S/V Sea Myst
E-29

jim,

yes I did get the email, I have printed them off. I actually found that same shape in our new catalog but the only problem is I can not find one the same size as yours. The closest od i have is 7-3/4x28-1/2. I am not sure if we can do something custom, I believe you would probably have to order from the sizes that we currently manufactor.

Best Regards,
Hope Colburn
Customer Service

Jim Mobley <jim@renkus-heinz.com>

11/14/2005 03:52 PM To
"'hope_colburn@pompanette.com'" <hope_colburn@pompanette.com>
cc
Subject
RE: Custom opening ports

Hi Hope,

Just checking to be sure you could open the second set of drawings I sent?

Best regards,

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
TEL: 949-588-9997
FAX: 949-588-9514
www.renkus-heinz.com
mailto:jim@renkus-heinz.com

Hi Hope,

Sure, here they are as .pdf files. (The originals are AutoCAD drawings.) If
you need a reader for these files one is available free from Adobe,
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Best regards,

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
www.renkus-heinz.com

-----Original Message-----
From: hope_colburn@pompanette.com [mailto:hope_colburn@pompanette.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 5:19 AM
To: Jim Mobley
Subject: Re: Custom opening ports

Dear Jim,

I could not open the pictures, do you have another format to send them?

Best Regards,
Hope Colburn
Customer Service

Jim Mobley <jim@renkus-heinz.com>

11/08/2005 07:59 PM To
"'hope_colburn@pompanette.com'" <hope_colburn@pompanette.com>
cc
Subject
Custom opening ports

Dear Hope,

Attached please find a drawing of the aft fixed portlight on my Ericson 29.
I'm interested in fitting opening ports and was told that you have the
capability to do custom work. There are a number of us with Ericson yachts
that would like to make this change (Ericson used the same port on boats
from 27 to 38 feet in length) so if there are any quantity breaks, please
let me know.

In addition, can you make an matching opening port in the size of the Lewmar
4L/R ports? The forward portlights in our boat are a size match to the
Lewmars. I've attached Lewmar's drawing as well.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610
www.renkus-heinz.com