• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Pedestal - Broken Sprocket

jreddington

Member III
I have had trouble all season with my steering. It would "catch" just before right full rudder and I would hear a bell like sound coming from inside the pedestal. Obviously either the cable or the chain was banging on the inside of the pedestal tube.

Investigated the problem today. Was hoping a couple links in the chain were binding up and I could work them free. No such luck. When I got the compass off and looked into the steering mechanism I found that a couple teeth in the sprocket were half broken off.

My steering is by Yacht Specialties. I know they are out of business. Are there any sources of parts for these? I know some Edson parts are similar but I doubt this is going to be one of them.

I hope I can track something down or else I'm probably looking at an entirenew steering pedestal. That would put quite a crimp in next season's cruising budget.

By the way, would anyone know how this could have happened? I don't remember having put the rudder hard on its stops or any other shock which would have broken teeth. I have to admit this is the first time I've opened the unit up intending to lubricate it after learing about it this summer at the Northeast Ericson Rendevous. However, I did note that the chain still seemed well lubricated.
:confused: :confused:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Doc Freeman's in Seattle

Call Doc Freeman's in Seattle:

E-mail:
docfreemans@seanet.com

Phone:
1-800-423-8641
1-206-633-1500

FAX:
1-206-789-5800

Letter:
Doc Freeman's, Inc.
P.O. Box 70729
Seattle, WA 98107

It was my understanding that they bought all the factory's remaining stock....

//sse

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Jim,
Chances are you will never find that part. And the Edson
pedestal is a totally different animal and won't help you.
Before laying out big bucks for the Edson or Whitlock, you
might want to get some quotes from a marine fabricator to
make a new sprocket if everything else i.e. bearings, etc.
is ok with the yacht specialties unit.
Martin

Dudley

Steering Sprocket

Jim,

Attached is drawing of a modified Edson Sprocket to replace the
Yacht Specialties Sprocket. I had one modified in 1998 for my Ericson 35-2. Have had no problems with it. If you have any questions, please e-mail me.

Dudley

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Posting Documents

Sorry guys - we're still having an issue posting documents. Dudley, email that document to me at my office, and I'll post it to the FTP site, and put a link to it from this thread.

Sorry for the hassle!

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Edson Diagram

I've loaded the Edson diagram onto the EricsonYachts FTP site. To download the document, simply click here .

Please note that this file is zipped, and will require either WinZip or Stuffit to view it. Links to free versions of both titles are contained on the Document Index page, found in the "Specs & Documents section of this site.

Thanks!

//sse

scourge

Member II
Yacht Specialties Pedestal

Being located in Michigan, my boat is under wraps.
My boat is a 1976 32ft. with what I believe is a Yacht Specialties Pedestal. The wheel says so, so I would assume that it is and it doesn't appear to have been replaced.
Does anyone out there in Ericson land know the approximate width of the 'base' or footprint of the pedestal where it mounts to the 'divider' which separates the helm from the rest of the cockpit. Also, the approximate height of the pedestal from the base to the top of the compass/wheel.

Another question. Does Edson carry the mounting plates for a YS pedestal to bolt onto the pedestal for a pedestal guard?

Thanks
Len

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good Sprocket(Will) Hunting

While Sean was busy getting married and starting back to school... Doc Freemans quietly went out of business. FWIW, they had already run thru most of their stock of YS steering parts....
However, since the sprocket seems quite durable, I would start contacting used marine parts shops all over the place. Lots of owners have replaced their complete YS steering assemblies over the years and will sell the old units cheap.

There are two such places in Seattle, Donato's Second Wave, and the other store out at Shillshole. In Portland there is Sexton's Chandlery and the Marine Exchange. Many others in every port city.

Good hunting!

Loren

escapade

Inactive Member
If all else fails.....

You might also try your local industrial bearing supply house. They also carry or would be able to direct you to a business that carries sprockets. You will need to know the bore dia. (1.000" I believe) outside diameter & chain pitch. They are available in stainless (for the food industry). Take the old one along so the counter man can see it & he should be able to help you out. Good luck.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade" :)

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Some years ago I saw a drawing showing how an Edson sprocket could be machined to match a Yacht Spec. sprocket, this may be cheaper than fabricating a new one.

If I can relocate the dwg. I will post it. I believe it was in a thread on the ericsonlist.

timday5

Member II
I've loaded the Edson diagram onto the EricsonYachts FTP site. To download the document, simply click here .

Please note that this file is zipped, and will require either WinZip or Stuffit to view it. Links to free versions of both titles are contained on the Document Index page, found in the "Specs & Documents section of this site.

Thanks!

//sse

Sean, I can't get this link to work. Is the file still around somewhere?

Thanks, Tim

These phone numbers for Docfreemans are no good in 2011.

These phone numbers for Docfreemans are no good in 2011.

E-mail:
docfreemans@seanet.com

Phone:
1-800-423-8641
1-206-633-1500

FAX:
1-206-789-5800

Letter:
Doc Freeman's, Inc.
P.O. Box 70729
Seattle, WA 98107

It was my understanding that they bought all the factory's remaining stock....

//sse[/QUOTE]These phone numbers for Docfreemans are no good in 2011.

hodo

Member III
Doc Freemans

Unfortunately, Doc's has been closed for about 7 years. Good Luck,

Harold, S/V Mischief Maker

Guy Stevens

We have fixed this problem in the past

I think this was the sprocket that we used, we had a local machine shop cut the shaft and the key way into it for us. (They did it in under 20 minutes). And the client was off and running....

But and it is a big one.... I am not positive that this is the sprocket blank, I can't find that notebook, or if I did, I can't decipher the hieroglyphics in it.

I do remember that the sprocket was a different number of teeth, and that we did also replace the chain at the same time. I also remember that it was Number 40 chain.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#ansi-40-roller-chain-sprockets/=cvhr3j

Guy
:)