• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How many Ericson 38's built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Taugher

Member II
Does any one have a handle on how many Eriscon 38s have been built. I just read that PSC built 24, how many did Ericson build?

Don Taugher
Running Free
E38-200 # 263

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And the Winning Number is...

Just to throw a (numbered) onion into the stew...
I know for sure that Ericson liked to start model runs with "100". That's why I have hull #108, when in fact it is #8 of the Ericson Olson 34 production run.

Then, just to confused future historians even more, they would evidently start over with numbering when they took on tooling from another builder, like they did with the line of Olsons. I have talked with the owner of Olson 34 #1 (well... #101) built by Ericson. It is the first one they molded out, The real O-34 #1 already exists, and was build by Pacific Boats, and was the only 34 they produced before going into Chapter Whatever and selling their tooling to Ericson.

I suspect that PSC started over with all numbering when they put the 32/200, the 34/200, and 38/200 into production under their own HIN identifying system. There are, FWIW, some '89 ('88 ?) "Ericson 38/200" boats said to be built by PSC. There must have been an extended transition period as assets were legally moved from Ericson Yachts to PSC.
Anyone know??

Loren in PDX
:egrin:

Don Taugher

Member II
Loren:

The numbering system on the Olson/Ericsons I assume is different than Ericson/Ericsons. I have seen many E-38s with a hull number less than 100, in fact, number "4" is alive and well in Long Beach CA, just returning for six months in Mexico.

Don Taugher

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
E/38 - I #1 (1979) thru #126 (1987) = 126?
E/38 - II (381 series) #501 (1982) thru #539 (1986) = 39?
E/38 - III (382 series) #200 (1985) thru #230 (1986) = 31?
E/38 - III #231 (1987) thru # ?

These figures are from the Ericson Hull numbers list that someone thoughtfully posted. Can't make any promises on the accuracy myself.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Hull #318

Our 1989 Ericson 38 was ERY38318C989, or hull #318, so that makes at least 87 in the final series.

Jeanne

Member I
My hull number

My Ericson 38 hull number is ERY3827E989. Looks like it is hull 27 for 1989. Does anyone out there know? I was told she is one of the last boats built by Ericson.

Jeanne

u079721

Contributing Partner
Huh?

Jeanne gave his (her?) hull number as ERY3827E989, which confuses me. My manual says that ERY is of course for Ericson, the next two numbers (38), are for the model, and the following THREE numbers are the hull number. Following the hull number is a letter that corresponds to the month of manufacture, the first of the three final numbers is the last digit of the calander years in which the boat was built, and the last two numbers are the model year.

So my boat was an Ericson 38, hull 318, built in March of 1989. But what is Jeanne's boat? If there is a number missing, and it is actually ERY38327E989 it would make sense as being hull 327 built in May of 1989. If not, then it looks as if they started a new numbering system sometime after March in 1989.

Guy Stevens

Somewhere there is an answer....

I once had a list of all of the Ericson Models with their corresponding hull numbers and the number of each produced. I got it off the web somewhere, but I don't have it any more, and can't find it again......

If anyone finds it please let me know....

Guy
Ericson 46 hull #14 of 21 total produced, 19 remain according to the last collection of known sunks....

Jeanne

Member I
The hull number is correct - I double checked with the Coast Guard Vessel Documentation website.

Jeanne (a lady skipper)
Vessel: Smooth Operator

Status
Not open for further replies.