• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ericson 25+ 1984

douglas

Member I
ericson 25+ 1984 good boat?
Hi, I'm in the market for a daysailor, a few nites and weekends possibly, shoal draft for west coast of florida. I'm a novice sailor, but know how to windsurf, have taken sailing lessons, crewed on boats. I want something safe, a bit on the fast side, cruiser/racer, something maybe to enter club races and get familiar with that venue, not always get last place eventually. I came upon an ericson 25+ 1984 for sale, draft 3'11", wheel steering, roller jib, pics look good, looking at it in person in a few days. It has an inboard diesel Yanmar 1 cylinder in good working order per owner. Owner seems to have everything well documented and seems to keep it in good shape per our conversation.
I'm trying to find out more about this model, what are it's known problems? any problem areas to pay particular attention to? is it a safe boat? fast? ANY info. on this 1984 ericson 25+ would be appreciated.

PS have now seen the boat. The jib is a 150, new 3 years ago so it's in great shape, mainsail is in good visual shape. Problems I see are that there are some gelcoat cracks around the mast base, a circular ring around the mast, I guess it's a little large crack than gelcoat crazing I"ve seen in other boats but I'm not sure it's anything really bad, and also there was water leakage damage at the hatch area, owner says was a one time thing, didn't seem wet inside at this time, chainplate areas looked dry. It has wheel steering and it's a bit tight to get behind the wheel when a bimini is up, is wheel steering a plus or minus in this size boat? How safe is an ericson 25 in general, the boat seems to have been well maintained.

Thanks again for any info.

Doug

Thanks in advance.

Doug

davemitchell

Member I
25+

I have an 1980 25+. Mine is the deep draft, 4'11" draft. I can get 5-6 knots no problem. A friend of mine has a Bayfield, which it will out run. I can sail further into the wind then he can, so upwind runs have less tacks. I have been on my boat in a storm with 70 mph winds at anchor. (It started out as a beautiful day then the storm rolled in, had time to drop the sails and get ready for it.) The boat will heel over early, which can be unnerving, but it really is stable. I had a 30 degree heel in the storm, with no sails up. Now with a foot less draft it may be different.
The Achilles heel on my boat has been the port windows, which are orginal equipment. They leaked when I bought the boat and resisted most of my efforts. I finally used the foam weatherstrip tape, problem solved.
My cockpit is tight with the wheel steering, but it makes life a lot easier, then a tiller, in my opinion. I have the crazing around my mast also, the mast sits on the deck with the bulkhead underneath it supporting the weight to the keel. The commpression forces are the culprit there. I have crazing here and there, but its a 25 year old boat.
My boat has the OMC Saildrive in it so, I am on borrowed time with that.
The one thing I need to do it put in rudder stops. My boat does not have them, I have to put them in. I have had the steering cable jump the Quadrant and the sprocket at the wheel. Basicly backing the boat out, loosened my grip on the wheel, rudder pushed hard over, due to the pressure on it. The rudder goes past 45 degrees and off comes the cable or chain.
Get a survey done, bring a friend who knows boats. Take that information and make an informed decsion. The boat is safe, comfortable and reliable if maintained.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Regarding your question about wheel steering, I consider it mostly a nuisance in a boat that size, but not really a liability. Wheel steering takes up cockpit space, and adds another possible failure point. But some like it, and it really comes down to a personal decision. No right or wrong way to steer a boat. Just a way that works for you best.

Also, I'd look to make sure the crazing and cracking around the mast step on deck, are not signs of core deterioration and compression under the mast step. If water has gotten into the plywood there, and it's been allowed to rot, you'll need to cut open the deck, and replace the core in that critical area.

Nate

Last edited:

douglas

Member I
diesel

Thanks for the replies so far. The boat is still for sale, was having a diesel engine issue, ends up that barnacles were limiting the propeller moving as well and that was causing the engine to "overwork" apparently all settled. I know know the Yanmar 1 cylinder enging is an '84. How long can I expect a diesel to keep going? I understand maintenance is key....but if an engine is well maintained how long is reasonable lifespan?

Thanks

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Obviously there are many factors regarding maintenance and usage, but 3000 hours or more is a good diesel lifespan when taken care of.

How many hours on that engine?

Bob in Va

Member III
Magazine review

Practical Sailor did a review on this boat a number of years ago. They were very positive in their comments, being impressed by its interior room and use of space. They also remarked on its overall good quality and performance. Of their reviews of a number of 25 foot production boats, they seemed to like the Ericson best, though they didn't say it in so many words.

soup1438

Member II
Ericson 25 vs 25+

I'm also on the west coast of Florida (Boca Ciega Bay) and I've looked through the information on the 25 and the Practical Sailor review of the 25+.

Some things I've noticed about the 25 (mine is a 1975) make me wonder if the 25+ carried over the same design tendencies: the hull is *thick*. The deck is rigid. I can't detect *any* flex in the hull or deck regardless of weight, etc. This boat *feels* solid and like "one piece" despite the construction of hull vs deck.

In my case, I have a "full keel"-- so I need at least 3'10" of water (and preferably more) to stay in motion. I've run aground more than once (and been able to get unstuck by myself) and I've wondered about the drop-keel variety in the same scenario-- sure, the boat won't run completely aground but what of the rudder?

What's odd is that I've been hearing *other* nice things about the Ericson 25 whilst at the "Strictly Sail" show in St Pete.

Some notes on sailing my E-25: mine doesn't like wimpy wind unless I throw a *lot* of rag into the breeze. Given a breeze over about 12-15mph it'll move very nicely with just the main-- which makes tacking your brains out a *fun* process. When sailing like this I'd prefer a self-tending jib, but, hey...

My E-25 isn't good for more than a daysailer right now-- and I'm PO'd at the PO who pulled the holding tank.

In any case...

Have fun!

Bend the Wind... don't Break it.

jackie

25+

I have an 1980 25+. Mine is the deep draft, 4'11" draft. I can get 5-6 knots no problem. A friend of mine has a Bayfield, which it will out run. I can sail further into the wind then he can, so upwind runs have less tacks. I have been on my boat in a storm with 70 mph winds at anchor. (It started out as a beautiful day then the storm rolled in, had time to drop the sails and get ready for it.) The boat will heel over early, which can be unnerving, but it really is stable. I had a 30 degree heel in the storm, with no sails up. Now with a foot less draft it may be different.
The Achilles heel on my boat has been the port windows, which are orginal equipment. They leaked when I bought the boat and resisted most of my efforts. I finally used the foam weatherstrip tape, problem solved.
My cockpit is tight with the wheel steering, but it makes life a lot easier, then a tiller, in my opinion. I have the crazing around my mast also, the mast sits on the deck with the bulkhead underneath it supporting the weight to the keel. The commpression forces are the culprit there. I have crazing here and there, but its a 25 year old boat.
My boat has the OMC Saildrive in it so, I am on borrowed time with that.
The one thing I need to do it put in rudder stops. My boat does not have them, I have to put them in. I have had the steering cable jump the Quadrant and the sprocket at the wheel. Basicly backing the boat out, loosened my grip on the wheel, rudder pushed hard over, due to the pressure on it. The rudder goes past 45 degrees and off comes the cable or chain.
Get a survey done, bring a friend who knows boats. Take that information and make an informed decsion. The boat is safe, comfortable and reliable if maintained.

jackie

What is the make of your wheel steering? Also do you know of a set of used 25 plus sails?
Thanks,
Jack

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What is the make of your wheel steering? Also do you know of a set of used 25 plus sails?
Thanks,
Jack
Dave has not checked back in here since 2007. Best bet is to click on his screen name and choose the option to have the site email him directly: 'start conversation'.