• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cabin sole replacement

Captainpeter

Member II
I have finally decided to bite the bullet and replace the teak & holly sole on my 21 year old E38 (it had gotten wet underneath and delaminated in places). Fortunately it is not glued down to stringers. 1. What is the best way to remove the teak plugs covering the screws on the perimeter trim? Also, can anyone recommend a source of 4x8x3/4 teak & holly plywood in Southern Californina? Thanks, Captain Peter

hodo

Member III
sole

The easiest way I have found to remove the teak plugs, is with an awl or ice pick. gently tap it till it contacts the covered screw and then gently pry across the grain, and it will pop out.It would be easier to get 1/2" marine plywood and epoxy it to 1/4" teak and holly ply. It worked really well on a peterson 34. good luck, hodo :devil:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Link to a sole replacement project

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1526&referrerid=28

Here is THE thread on this site, with great photos on sole replacement. The commentary from all the owners is a great help, IMHO.
Note the finished look of Geoff's cabin sole. truly an inspiration to us all!
:D

There are robust Print options for long threads like the one referenced, so that you can take it down to your boat for study and inspiration.

Loren in PDX
Olson 34
(with a refinished and patched sole...) :rolleyes:

diamondjim

Member II
Removing Teak Plugs

Another way to remove teak plugs is to use screw gun and a dry wall screw. Drill a small hole in the middle of the plug and then slowly drive the dry wall screw into the plug untill it lifts the plug from the sole. Sometimes you can get away with just driving the dry wall screw into the plug and get the same results. Very slick and efficient.

stbdtack

Member III
Options for the sole....

We replaced the dry rotted sole on our 38 recently. Decided to put bamboo down instead of teak and holly. Its more durable,more rigid, very renewable, lightens up the cabin and was cheaper than t/h ply.

I used a small flat screwdriver blade to remove the bungs. Tap it in with the grain at a slight angle and pry up the pieces. I like the drywall screw idea, gotta take one down to the boat so I will have it around. Also a little hint to get the screws out, buy yourself a few new phillips bits for your screwgun. Get at least one long one and use a hammer to tap it firmly into the screw-head before you try to back it out. The heads will have glue in them and the bit wont seat properly. Once you spin the bit on the head, its not going to come out until you can grab it with the vice grips. My floor was so rotted I could just pull it up by hand and twist the screws out with the pliers. Some broke off but i just ground them flat with the gelcoat.

Also dont be shocked when you see under the floors....... Simple green, hot water and a stiff brush cleaned mine up pretty good. I brushed white gelcoat on the unfinished tabbing to finish them off a little better.

I'll be happy to post pics of the bamboo floor if you want to see..... :egrin:

Ben

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bamboo? Verrry Interesting...

Hi Ben,
Yes, Please do attach some pics of the bamboo sole.
Loren in PDX

stbdtack

Member III
e38 sole replacement...

Sorry for the bad quality, it was dark and the flash isnt great...

Attachments

• grain1.JPG
    grain1.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 340
  • grain2.jpg
    grain2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 386

escapade

Inactive Member
finished product

Attached I included a couple photo's of the new (2 seasons old ) teak & holly sole (NOT plasteak!!!!). I applied about 6 coats of spar varnish cut 50% w/mineral spirits. Very satisified with results. Hope this gives you inspireation!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Attachments

• sole1.jpg
    sole1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 158
  • sole2.jpg
    sole2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 193

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I bask in Loren's constant praise. I note for those cutting 3/4" material for the sole are going to have a harder time using my router method (which I find much neater and more accurate than a saw), at least with anything less than a 2 or 3 hp router.

Os Saguil

bamboo cabin sole

stbdtack said:
We replaced the dry rotted sole on our 38 recently. Decided to put bamboo down instead of teak and holly. Its more durable,more rigid, very renewable, lightens up the cabin and was cheaper than t/h ply.

I used a small flat screwdriver blade to remove the bungs. Tap it in with the grain at a slight angle and pry up the pieces. I like the drywall screw idea, gotta take one down to the boat so I will have it around. Also a little hint to get the screws out, buy yourself a few new phillips bits for your screwgun. Get at least one long one and use a hammer to tap it firmly into the screw-head before you try to back it out. The heads will have glue in them and the bit wont seat properly. Once you spin the bit on the head, its not going to come out until you can grab it with the vice grips. My floor was so rotted I could just pull it up by hand and twist the screws out with the pliers. Some broke off but i just ground them flat with the gelcoat.

Also dont be shocked when you see under the floors....... Simple green, hot water and a stiff brush cleaned mine up pretty good. I brushed white gelcoat on the unfinished tabbing to finish them off a little better.

I'll be happy to post pics of the bamboo floor if you want to see..... :egrin:

Ben
Hi Ben,
I like the idea of the bamboo. I am planning on laying down redwood on the sole of my 85 Catalina until I saw the pictures you posted and would like to how the steps involved in laying down bamboo.

I am a first time boat owner, I like the Ericsons but winded up with a Catalina 27, I could not find a nice Ericson in my area. Thank you for your help,

Os Saguil

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Wow!

Somewhere I missed this thread along the way-- you guys do great work!
I am a fan of Teak/Holly, but we've been looking for ways to lighten the salon and the bamboo worked great for that! Just more projects to aspire to :devil:
Chris

Guy Stevens

Hey wait a minute you guys put it on the wrong side!

The bamboo part is supposed to go up! :)

This is the headliner on Aiki, one of the best easiest, and nicest ways to install a headliner that I have ever done.

It looks a little strange here because we had not dusted it yet, but you get the idea. There is more trim that goes on too.

Guy
:)

Attachments

• headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,577

stbdtack

Member III
Sorry guys, a little behind on keeping up with the posts.

Guy, that looks terrific! I really would like to see your boat sometime.

Os and Chris, the bamboo is available in a number of forms. You can get it in paper-thin veneers up to 3/4" thick. I used 3/4", 4x8 sheets of vertical cut grain since i was replacing the old plywood. 1/8" is good if you just want to cover the old floor and its in sound shape. You can glue it down with epoxy or contact cement. Its really hard and sands easily. I coated mine with satin polyurethane.

Since my old sole was basically dust I had to make new patterns. I made the center panels wider than the originals so the joints would be on the f/g grid with better access to the bilge. I fastened around the outside edges only so the molding would cover the screwheads.