• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Cockpit drain hose replacement

Meanolddad

Member III
I replaced the mystery leak hose today. Spent way to much time messing with hose types and sizes. Regalus still had the original cockpit drain hoses. One had started to leak where it split. The hose was very stiff and no longer flexable at all. The first thing was to pull the original out. Make sure you attatch a line to the hose prior to pulling it out. It would be a real pain to try to get it in otherwise. On Regalus the through hull is a 1 5/8 and the cockpit drain is 1 1/2. The thought of trying to get 1 1/2 hose into the bilge onto a larger fitting was not my idea of fun. I ordered 1 5/8 exhaust/water hose from West Marine. Should not be bothered by the heat from the motor. I had to enlarge the hole where the hose goes through the liner. I used a 1" pvc pipe cap with a hole drilled in it for the line clamped in to the end to pull the hose back into place. Went smoothly for a change. We had it in in about 30 minutes. The worst part is getting my rather large fanny down into the lazerette locker to feed the new hose. The Cockpit is low enough in the boat that just putting the drains out the stern may be a bit problematic so I just decided to replace the originals.
Greg

therapidone

Member III
originally: How old is your 30+?

Greetings Greg,

Since originally posting this reply in this thread, I found the previous thread where you first broached this subject & also the answer to how old your 30+ is...so no need to answer that q. The rest still applies & when you get a chance to reply, I'd greatly appreciate knowing how things are going.

Your messge said that you had a leak in at least one of these lines (the mystery leak). We have an '87 30+ and, while none of the lines has been leaking, I haven't been happy with how long it takes them to drain & have been thinking about replacing them over the winter.

It has been awhile since your post...did the move to 1 5/8" lines work out okay insofar as holding them tight at each end? Everything else okay since you completed the work?

Regards,

Ed

Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
Hi Ed
When I took my old hoses out, there were mussels growing in them. That may be your slow draining problem. So far the 1 5/8ths hose seems to be fine. We are going sailing this weekend and if there is a problem I will post to this thread to let you know. The hoses that were original to the boat looked like vacum cleaner hose. It was a spiral wound white hose with greenish glue on ends. It had become very stiff and brittle. I replaced it with 1 5/8ths Series 210 Versaflex hose from West Marine. It does have a wire core so it will not collapse. It bends well and fit quite well. I ordered 14 feet and they sent a 10 foot length and a 4 foot length. They sent out another 7 foot length for free since they did not warn me the max length was 10 feet. Make sure you order the lengths that you need. The Starboard is about 5 feet and Port is about 6 feet in length on Regalus. Make them a bit longer to be sure. I needed a little soap to get it to slide on to my through hull and it went right on the cockpit drain. The hardest part is getting to the Starboard cockpit drain. I had a couple of people try to talk me into using 1 1/2 inch white sanitation hose. They told me to dip the end into boiling water to expand it to fit the larger fitting. There is no way you are going to heat the hose get it pulled into place and on the fittings before it cooled to its original size. It was also quite a bit stiffer and would be a real pain to get into place. The hole in the liner that the hoses go through below the cockpit drains will need to be enlarged a bit for the Versaflex. It has a slightly larger outside diameter.
If you have any other questions, let me know.
Greg

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Meanolddad said:
I had a couple of people try to talk me into using 1 1/2 inch white sanitation hose. They told me to dip the end into boiling water to expand it to fit the larger fitting. There is no way you are going to heat the hose get it pulled into place and on the fittings before it cooled to its original size.

Actually I've had good luck with heating the sanitation hose. This summer I was replumbing the head on a Hallberg Rassy 49, and the fittings must have been metric. But with a heat gun I was easily able to expand the hose sufficiently to get it over the oversized fittings. You're right about the stiffness making it a bit harder to run though.

Nate

leighton

Member I
The other thing I have found to be helpful is a 'tailpipe expander' from Harbor Freight (probably also available at auto supply shops). It costs about 5 bucks. You slip it in the end of the hose and use a pair of wrenches to expand it until the hose is the size you want. I was able to go up 1/4" of exhaust hose with no trouble, although a heat gun might help the process if necessary.

Meanolddad

Member III
Hey
Funny, I used to have one of those from Harbor Freight. Tried to actually use it on some exhaust tubing on an old truck that I was restoring. It broke before it expanded anything. Might word on rubber hose though. The exhaust/water hose that I used was more flexible than the sanitation hose so I am happy with my choice even if it is more expensive. I figure it will live longer near the motor. Heck of a good idea though.
Greg