• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Icebox

Richard Elliott

Member III
Our Stbd. icebox drain leaks onto the cockpit sole, requiring plastic bins for the icewater to dump. Does anyone know how to access the icebox drain hose? Dick Elliott.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The hose knows....

Hi Richard,
You said cockpit -- did you, perchance, mean to say cabin sole?
Your bio does not say which E-34 model you have, but Ericson put a hose from the drain on the bottom of our ice box to the bilge. Right away after buying the boat I installed a plastic ball valve in the end of the hose, once I fished it out from under the galley module... That way I could drag the valved end of said hose out and drain it into a saucepan once a day, and also be sure that the cold air was not flowing wastefully into the bilge along with the melt water.

Nowadays the valve is closed and the hose is empty and the 12 volt refer does the cooling, but we lived with the ice-and-melt-water-hose-drain bit for 8 years.
Have you looked deep into the cabinet nearby for the end of your drain hose?

Best,
Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
icebox drain

Richard
Assuming you have the 1987 or later Ericson/PCS E34, the starboard icebox should have a drain hose that goes aft behind the cabinetry in the head, around/under the hot water heater, through the engine compartment, under the cabin sole to a manifold under the galley sink. There you will find another hose coming from the port ice box & another coming from a thru hull & attached to the sea water foot pump. You use this foot pump to empty either ice box as well as sea water. If your leak is from directly under the fiberglass box itself you will either have to cut an access hole or remove the cabinetry to access it. Otherwise from the head aft & then forward you can get at it (but NOT easily!!!). My wife & I replaced our hose so I have experienced the fun.
Hope this answers your question.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud '88 E34 "Escapade" :cool:

Richard Elliott

Member III
E34 Icebox Drain

You are correct. The drain leaks out onto the cabin sole. Our is a 1989 and teed into the saltwater foot pump as described. I'm afraid the leak is in the hose fitting at the bottom of the icebox since the water leaks out forward of the door to the head. Apparently I need to cut an access panel in the cabinet down near the cabin sole. Correct?

escapade

Inactive Member
correct

Richard
Yep, you are correct, unfortunately. I will look at ours on Wed. night (beer can race) to see if I can figure out a better way. I've had the cabin sole out of Escapade and there is no access via that route. Probably the easiest place to hide the work would be from the head side but I can't remember if there is enough room to work from that side. Good luck
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade" :(