• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Richard Austin

Hi All.

We recently purchased and Ericson 35 MkIII, and want to upgrade the instruments. It has a Yacht Specialties Pedistal Guard (12.5" center-pipe distance)

Any recommendations on an Instrumentation panel that will fit? The NavPod people say they don't have one.

Thanx in Advance...

Richard Austin

ref_123

Member III
Replace the whole guard...

Hi Richard,

last year we replaced the whole rail with Navpod's AngleGuard and console. Looks OK. Had to machine a custom plate that attaches the rail to the binnacle though.

Regards,
Stan

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have seen a picture of a very nice teak box housing three instruments across (and the materials would probably be cheaper than a Navpod).

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Must you?

Just something to consider:
I don't like those instrument pods that are attached to the pedestal because only the driver can see them. If you are racing, or just fooling around with some crew who are playing with sail trim, it is better to have the repeaters where everyone in the cockpit can see/use them. Ideally, mount them on the back of the mast below the boom-alternatively, you can bulkhead mount them on the aft face of the cabin-facing the cockpit.
If you only singlehand, it probably does not matter-and it is a personal taste thing anyway-so there is my 2 cents-go buy yourself a new suit! :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Homebuilt "pod" on a YS guard

Here are some views of a home made instrument holder on the YS pedistal on an early 80's Ericson. The whole thing was assembled from plastic pieces, and the angle sides were heated and bent at TAP Plastics, who also did the cutting. The owner made it up in cardboard mock-up pieces, and when all the angles and sizes were worked out, took the patterns in to have the bits cut, heat-bent, and polished...
Owner Mike is out of town for several weeks, so I took the liberty of making some digi images of this today. He was planning to do this but ran short of time before leaving. This is on the Ericson 33 that also appears randomly on the splash screen, and I crew on it when he is desperate for help. :)
Note that a "bus" system like the Nexus (or competing Raymarine and others...) uses just one small wire bundle for power and data movement.
Loren in PDX

Attachments

• small,instrumentsFront.jpg
    small,instrumentsFront.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 224
  • inst.holderBack.jpg
    inst.holderBack.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 217
  • overall view.jpg
    overall view.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 218
  • wire IntoSS guard.jpg