• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal M-15 Fresh Water Conversion?

jreddington

Member III
My 1984 E-28 has an M-15 engine, (old model no 5411). My owners manual for the engine clearly shows that it is a salt water cooled engine.

However, my engine definitely has a cooling circuit with an externally mounted heat exhanger.

Did Westerbeke ever make a closed coolant circuit version of this engine or offer a conversion package or did anyone else have this? Maybe a P.O. did the conversion.

Engine runs great but I am curious if there are some parts issues I need to worry about down the road. Would love to know if there is a parts list to the conversion kit if this was what was done.

Also, the manual states that the operating temperature of the engine is 135 - 155 deg. F. I know salt water cooled engines are designed to run cooler than closed loop systems. Since my engine is closed loop can I install a higher temperature thermostat? Wiil that improve performance or cause any problems.

Another question. The plastic cap on the resevoir for the coolant loop (located in the port lazarette) is broken and I cannot locate a replacement. Does anyone have a source for this part.

Would love to confirm if this is the way this engine came from the factory or hear from someone who actually did the conversion on their own engine.