• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Prop Options

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Where to buy a Feathering Prop

Getting off topic but where would be the best (cheapest ) place to purchase a 2 blade featherer? Max prop or auto stream...

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Prop notes

Ted, I bought my Martec direct. They have a "boat show discount" every winter... at least they used to...
http://www.martec-props.com/
When you call, you may be talking to Mary, who was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Purchase note: some years ago, I paid $973. for a bronze two-blade, including S/H.

For all I know, the installing yard, Schooner Creek, would probably have given me an equal deal since they did the install, and are a Martec dealer. The very end of the old SS shaft had to be cut off, as I recall. (No, a Rabi was not present)
:)

Best,
Loren

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks I sent them a request. Still waiting to hear more about the laminated sails though... Where's Seth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have a two bladed Maxprop and it has zero prop walk in reverse. There must be something else going on with your boat.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The difference here I believe is a Martek folding prop vs a Martek feathering prop. Folders in my experience have had the worst prop walk followed by fixed blades with feathering props generally exhibiting the best reverse capabilities.

In my quote request to I think Doyle they offered Maxx. I think I asked them to quote that material. Have to take a look at the site Seth mentioned. Pentex may be an option as well...

On the backstay adjuster Chris are you saying you can get a rebuilt one from Chesapeake rigging for 3 bills? Or is that what is cost to have one rebuilt?

Last edited:

Mike.Gritten

Member III
I have a 3-blade MaxProp that has considerable prop walk to starboard when going astern. Over the last couple of years though, I've come to value it as an asset, not a problem to be solved. Performance is great in forward.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I really love our MaxProp Two-blade. Super smooth, minimal prop-walk, and no real maintanence to speak of (push some grease through it each season when the boat is hauled).

More than once, after I've pulled into our slip a bit faster than usual, because of a stiff cross-wind, then easily stopped the boat with a little reverse, people on the dock have remarked that we must have a really big auxilary in the boat, for it to respond so powerfully in reverse. But the difference is the Maxprop. It's so much more efficient in reverse than a fixed-blade prop.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
It's a 14-inch MaxProp on a Yanmar 3JH2E engine.

The boat is a 1970 Hinckley 38 (not mine, actually. I am one of a few skippers who maintain and sail it for MIT).

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Nate. I am looking to get the 16" version for my E 38-200. Getting off topic here though. This thread was for laminate sails...

u079721

Contributing Partner
A funny story about Max Props

When we bought our E-38 our only other boat had been a trailerable 23 footer. So we were understandably a bit nervous about docking such a huge beast. A friend with a fixed two blade prop on his 27 foot Ericson said that docking was easy. Just as you turn into your slip, about the time the bow is even with the outer piles, put the boat into full reverse, and that would stop it in time.

So, the very first time we tried docking our E-38, with it's three blade feathering Max prop, my wife is at the helm, and as per suggestion, puts the boat into full reverse just as the bow enters the slip. By the time the boat is half way in we are stopped, and before she can undo things we are backing out at over 2 kts. We didn't hit anything, but it was hardly a great beginning to our Ericson ownership!

So watch out for those Max props - their reverse can be dangerous. (grin)