• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Does anyone know what type of sailing dinghy this is?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
What is it?

Does anyone know what type of sailing dinghy this is? I know it's not a Ericson for sure, ha ha, and it is only 10 feet long with a 4' 3" beam, so it's not a Laser. The guy who sold it to me (only a 100 bucks) said he was told it was a Hobie Holder. I can't find any info on a 10 foot Hobie mono hull. There is a logo that depicts a Mosquito or a Bee on the sail. I have searched all over the web and can't find any info on this boat. Hope you folks don't mind that this is not a Ericson related subject. I will post a photo of the sail logo later.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 432
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 430

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tip of my tongue

I just can't recall the name-but I remember this boat-it was in the Laser, Force 5 heyday, but a tad smaller. I DO know where you would likely find it, though.
Sail or Yachting magazine used to publish a guide to boat makes/models-a good, long established boat dealer in your area might have one in his/her bookcase-as might a sailmaker who has been around for a while-they have not been published in several years, and you would be looking for something from the mid-late 70's.

Jeff-you are in the LA area, right? I would try Elloitt-Pattison sailmakers-as if they have the old Sail/Yachting production boat guide. Or maybe one of the long established boat dealers in Del Rey-is Anchorage Yachts still around (they used to sell Ericsons)? Maybe the Hunter dealer maight have a copy.

But, between a sailmaker or old time boat dealer, someone will have this guide-and this boat will be in the dinghy section-for sure.

I will do some checking in the meantime-I love a challenge!
Cheers

Mindscape

Member III
Dyer Flyer??

Jeff - could this be a Dyer Flyer - this was a 10 footer from Dyer out of Warren, RI. Still looking around but the logo is kind of a D with wings. I'll keep looking for anything else that might be close. (I'm looking in one of the old Cruising World Insignia guides).

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
sailin dinghy

Jeff,

I have no idea what make it is, but you got a heck of a deal! Does he have another at that price?

Keith

bigtyme805

Member III
Jeff

Looks like a Hobie Holder 12 to me. The person you got it from probably gave you the wrong size. Hobie does make a 10.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Saline Solution"

Here are the photos of the Sail with the mystery logo of a Bee or Mosquito. I still have no idea what this saline Dinghy is. I have also posted photos of the newly LP ed bottom and buffed out deck. I will be trying her out this weekend. I have christened her "Saline Solution".

:confused:

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 240
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 255
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 258

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Not there

Frustrating, huh? Not on that list, ut I recall that logo, and just can't place it..

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cute

Funny, I remember THAT one, too! But somewhere, deep in the past, I DO recall that logo...Just can't place it..Sorry! :esad:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Bad news, too big for the Dink!

Thanks Seth, keep trying to remember!

Bad news, I did a sea trial with this Dink and I am just too big for it (195 lbs). I really had to get up some speed so that it would self bail through the drains in the transom. I also had to move pretty far forward in the cockpit to keep the water out. She's not that tender but I really think it is a boat for a much smaller person like youngster or a teenager. So I am putting it up for sale now that I have restored it to Bristol Condition. New LP on the bottom, varnished rudder and tiller, added tiller extension and new running rigging. How does $450.00 sound? I will do a post in the For Sale and Wanted section a little later. I am bummed because it is a well built and pretty little Dink.

:boohoo: