• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 Ericson 38'

Wayne

I am currently looking at purchasing a 1984 Ericson 38', which on superficial inspection is in almost new condition. I am hoping somone can give some idea of things to specifically look for in this model. Are there any known problems, structural integrity issues, electrical issues etc.? Is this a suitable vessel to consider a circumnavigation in?
Thank you

Andy Rogers

Member II
Hi Wayne,

I've just finished my first year of ownership of a 1984 Ericson 38. My wife and I have been using it in the L.I. Sound for weekend cruising, day sails, and one longer 10-day cruise. We've been thrilled with the boat for our purposes.

I've read enough stories about people circumnavigating in 18 foot open hull boats, 28 foot cruisers, all the way to 150 ft. mega-yachts that determining if something is suitable for a circumnavigation is really a personal choice. However, there are some things that you may want to consider in choosing a boat for extended open ocean cruising:

- The E38 is a relatively light weight boat. Heavier displacement boats may ride better and more comfortably in heavier seas.

- The E38 has a fin keel and spade rudder. Most dedicated long distance cruising boats have a full or modified full keel and a more protected rudder. This turns collisions with floatsam in the middle of the ocean into a bump instead of a crisis.

- The E38 is quite tender. You'll typically have to reef in anything above 15 kts of wind whereas many other cruising boats will sail with full sail into over 20 kts.

Again, this is really personal preference. The E38 could easily take you around the world if equipped properly and maintained well.

As for things to look for, you'll want to have a professional survey done as well as have the engine surveyed. Check the age of the standing rigging, sails, and running rigging. Much of this needs to be replaced if still original, especially if you'll be out in the middle of oceans.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert and a site like www.sailnet.com will have many in depth articles about choosing a vessel and equipping for long distance cruising.

Best of luck,

Andy