• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

water leaks from portlights

dustintodd

Member II
Getting the lexan out of the frame.

So now I am really in a pickle. I unscrewed the portlights from the interior and the came out with a little encouragement. But once apart i realized the lexan is sealed into the outer frame. But the frame itself seems to separate into and upper and lower half to release the lexan. There is a rubber gasket at each end that seals the 2 halves together. But the 2 halves of the frame do not want to separate. Trying to pry them apart is not working and is causing damage. See the pictures at these URLs to see in more detail what I am talking about.
http://www.voipexperts.com/pl1.jpg
http://www.voipexperts.com/pl2.jpg
I am tempted to re-bed with the crazed lexan in place but that would suck. I would love to just send all 4 portlights off to someone that knows what they are doing. Running out of time to get this done. Any help is greatly appreciated.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Try www.selectplastics.com IIRC, you can send the units to them and they will reglaze, reseal and send them back like new. They did both of my hatches and cut new lenses for all my portlights. Very satisfied with the work. RT

JMCronan

Member II
To separate the two halves of the window you will have to drill out the four circular indentions near the edge of each half of the frames. There are two of these indentions on each half. They hold an alignment shim, made of plastic, in place. Once the indentions are drilled out the shim should be free to move and you can pry the two halves of the frame apart. At least that is how I got mine apart. Hope that helps.

dustintodd

Member II
Replacing these things

Does anyone know of a production portlight that I can replace these with? Selectplastics no longer refurbs these because they cannot get gaskets for them. From everything I have read the Lewmar 4 series fixed portlights do not fit the openings. If I were to put these back in I am sure most of the leaking problems would be resolved as the majority of the problem seemed to be related to the bedding. But the lens is badly crazed and it would kill me to rebed them without replacing the lens. Argh.

So I read on this thread or another that some people had come up with a way to replace the gaskets. If anyone has figured this out could you please provide details?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Does anyone know of a production portlight that I can replace these with? Selectplastics no longer refurbs these because they cannot get gaskets for them. From everything I have read the Lewmar 4 series fixed portlights do not fit the openings. If I were to put these back in I am sure most of the leaking problems would be resolved as the majority of the problem seemed to be related to the bedding. But the lens is badly crazed and it would kill me to rebed them without replacing the lens. Argh.

So I read on this thread or another that some people had come up with a way to replace the gaskets. If anyone has figured this out could you please provide details?

I wouldn't be too quick to give up on the Lewmar replacement. I replaced one of the fixed ports on my 1989 E38-200 with a new Lewmar #4L port (about 2002?) and it was a perfect fit. The style of the molding was not a perfect match, but not enough to notice more than a few feet away. So unless they have changed their port since then, I think much of the data on this board about them not fitting may apply to earlier models of your boat.

If you go to their web site you can print off a template of the opening for the new port. The only sure way to answer the question would be to remove the existing port and see how the template lines up. Next to that you might be able to get a feel lining up the template with a mounted port of whether it would fit.

dustintodd

Member II
Printing out the lewmar schematics full size

Any pointers on how to print the Lewmar DWG files life sized? When I print it fits to page. But this might my problem because I am on a MAC and using a 3rd party Autocad viewer.

lbertran

Member III
Lewmar Fixed Ports

As I understand it, the Lewmar 4L and 4R will work as replacements for the forward fixed port. There is no Lewmar replacement for the aft fixed port. To use the Lewmar version requires fiberglassing the opening and recutting it to fit.

lbertran

Member III
Upon Further Search

I did a search on this site using "fixed ports" and came across a thread that mentions two companies that may have replacements for the fixed ports. One is called Bomon (not to be confused with Bomar) and the other is Moonlight portlights are made by BSI in Denmark.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dustin,
Regardless of OS, you might find it quicker in the long run to just print out a good scale copy and then go to a Kinko's or similar place and enlarge to full size.
I once drew up full size ones from the data in the Lewmar catalog... and then found that I would have to do some glass work (and teak trim work on the inside!) if I changed to the newest fixed ports. I was shopping Lewmar and Moonlight Marine at the time.

We could, if seeking a scape goat blame Ericson for having a window fabricator make up a custom size... or the portlight builders for changer their styles and sizing after 25 years...
or just "cope." ;)

I chose the later and had new windows fabbed up to my opening shapes. If my boat were 25 or more years old, and I was contemplating an LPU paint job for the deck & cabin, then I would glass in the openings to fit what is in vogue now and make that port upgrade a part of the refurbish project.
:cool:

Do post some photos of the project and outcome. As Red Green used to say: "We're all pullin' for ya."

Best,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The problem is that the fore and aft portlights are a different size. Lewmar only makes the forward one and I think that is true of the Moonlight ports also.

I had custom ports made by Bomon in Quebec. They did a fantastic job and were very thorough. I sent them tracings, they sent me a full size cad drawing that I confirmed. I signed off and about 4 weeks later I had them. It is a nice looking extrusion with 1/4" clear tempered glass. About $300 per port.

I am refinishing all the interior teak so this was a no brainer. New, servicable, non leaking ports. It also gave me an opportunity to wet sand/buff/polish the cabin top.

dustintodd

Member II
Oh and BTW

I was sick this weekend with the flu and could not making to the yard. I friends emails Sunday to tell me that my shrink wrap has been removed and the boat is in the water. So as you can imagine my portlights are in my apartment. And oh BTW my raw water pump is also disassembled... did I remeber to close the sea cock? I had only taped light trash bags over the cutouts when I left assuming the boat yard would never go to work on her without discussing with me. Big mistake.

So this project has taken on new urgency.

- Dustin

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Dustin, I just sent a response to your query befoer reading this post. I do still have the drawings if you would like them.

That shocks me about your boatyard. I would say time to find a new one. They certainly are only concerned with your money and not your boat.

BTW, how are the Hamptons? I used to race my 1969 Spitfire at the bridge. I think it is condos or a golf course now.

Last edited:

dustintodd

Member II
The hamptons

I keep Serendipity in 3 Mile harbor in East Hampton. As far as I am concerned there is no nicer placer to put a mooring down and Gardiners bay is a delight for a day sailing with friends. Now East Hampton and the associated costs and hassle well yeah that is a royal pain in the ass.

dustintodd

Member II
Custom mfg of portlights?

I have gotten a price from Bomon but wanted to do some comparison shopping. Any other recommendations?