• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Icebox drain to sink drain?

rgoff

Member III
Anyone tried to "tee in" the ice box drain to the sink drain. Looks like the bottom of the icebox is slightly above the thru hull and it should drain OK.

I'd like to get rid of the icebox draining into the bilge. Of course, one would have to make sure the sink thru hull was closed while sailing. :) And maybe have a check valve also.

Thanks,

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I don't have a 27, but unless the bottom of the ice box is above the waterline, the icebox will fill up to that point. There's a column of water in the sink drain hose up to that point.

In my old (non-ericson) boat my icebox drained into the bilge, which was a problem when milk and other nasties spilled. An appropriate modification to consider is putting a footpump on the drain hose with a spigot into the sink that you can then pump out. Makes it easier to clean the box too.

rgoff

Member III
Yep, I don't think I thought this one through and I'm all wet on the idea (as would be the icebox with saltwater). :)

I was only thinking of the relationship of the icebox drain to the thru hull fitting and not the outside water level. Oh well, I was an electrical engineer, not a boat designer. :)

I think I'll go with the pump idea to keep the bilge cleaner.

Thanks,

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
add a saltwater pump?

The 38's were built with that pump arrangment which also has a t-valve going to the raw water intake- nice to have raw water available as well sometimes if you do any long cruises. Just a thought while you're plumbing anyway.
Chris

Mindscape

Member III
Ice Box drain

The 32-3 is plumbed to pump the icebox to the sink. You can find the schematic for this in the docs section in the 32-3 owners manual.