• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat break-in at Harbor Island

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Just wanted to let all the Puget Sound area sailors know that there's another guy breaking in to sailboats. In this case we got off easy. He ate our food, drank our Diet Snapple, cognac, water and my 12-year-old single malt scotch. Only damage is to our sense of security and the hasp for my padlock. He used the shower, our towels, the head, the stove, the bed in the v-berth, the radio. He had the boards in and the companionway closed, so it looked almost like normal. But the hatches were open.

He was on the boat when we arrived this afternoon, and I yelled at him when I realized he was actually there. He hastily grabbed his stuff and took off. I lost all my macho points with Ellen since I wasn't inclined to tackle him or shove him off the dock. He had a knife, but left it and a few items of clothing onboard - now the police have them. So we trailed him as he left on foot, and talked to the 911 operator. They never caught him.

He circled back about 90 minutes later and retrieved his bicycle. Another call to the 911 operator. He got away again, as I didn't think to chase him in the car - never occured to me, actually. The cops probably don't think I'm very macho either. They acted very disappointed - several cars showed up both times - but it was hot and they were wearing kevlar vests. I doubt anyone actually wanted to chase the guy on foot or climb a fence in all the heat.

He's a white male, about 6 ft or 6' 1", medium build, 190 maybe, flat-belly, late 20's or about 30. Dark brown hair, several days growth, maybe a small goatee or moustache. Dark green khaki shorts, knee length, big black fanny pack and a black backpack. White t-shirt and a straw-colored brimmed hat. When he fled he was bare chested (it's hot in the boat, even with the hatches open). He was a pretty cool customer, came back with the shirt and the hat on to get the bike. It was a red ten-speed style. He had stashed his packs nearby.

He did say that he "was just trying to get some sleep" as he walked off. Small consolation to us - he'll still have trouble sleeping tonight. He left a full bowl of hot soup on the dinette table.

The officer took several items from the trash and some clothes he left. Fingerprints, DNA maybe, for the big database in Washington DC. The swim trunks and windbreaker he didn't take are in the trash. So, in the end about $50 loss. I rigged a slightly better hasp than the pot metal Perko that was on there. He broke the small screws that held the hasp ring to the slider. No damage to the slider or the boards. He knew something about locks, maybe, because the Masterlock (the kind with the brass colored body) was open inside the boat. There are no keys for it on the boat. I did find a twisted up paper clip that wasn't my handywork.

So, I'm thinking he might come back. A few weeks ago a neighbor on A-dock had an attempted break-in. Slight damage. I doubt he reported it. I hope this guy didn't stash anything aboard that might cause me trouble coming back into the US from Canada some summer afternoon. Guess I'll have to take the boat apart this week and make sure.

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Our sympathies.

We've had a pick-up stolen, then returned. We had our outboard stolen, never found.

2 and a half weeks ago we had our home burglarized, lots stolen, including the safe with all important documents. We have not been able to go out on La Petite since. We are still trying to keep the larcenous banks from giving away credit cards in our names to the identity thieves. Fraud alerts mean nothing to BofA, they assume that after a "number" of blocked applications it really must be someone legit or they wouldn't keep asking.

It really is amazing how the system is rigged against the consumer. You'd think we were living in Texas !!

-Sven

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks

My sympathies right back, Sven.

I reported the incident to the Port of Seattle and today the H.I. Marina manager called back. He's going to post a description of the burglar and a brief description of the incident on all the gates at the marina. He was going to do the legwork of getting the police report and tie in the Port PD. The Port PD responded to search, but the Seattle PD took the report.

He seemed appropriately concerned. He says that the Port comes by 2 or 3 times a week and walks all the docks at the marina. He says he does the routine himself once a week. I suggested that they should eye-ball all the companionway locks on the sailboats, which usually means walking out on every finger and possibly boarding a few boats.

Anyway, we move on and we sail this weekend. Manzanita Bay, Poulsbo and Dyes Inlet.