• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

weird

timoteo

Member II
hi folks,
when i was sailing last week , had the 170 % flying and on a close reach,
the problem came when i tacked and i just couldnt go as close in the wind as i did with my starboard tack, is my rigging out of tune or is it somewhat kinda normal, was alot of current too , about 3 knts :eek:
thanks for your advice
tim and opus

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Wierd

Hi Tim,

A few things come to mind. First, how did you determine your angles were different tack to tack? Compass heading? GPS heading? Wind angle?

Assuming it was the usual either compass or app wind angle, then current would have no effect. The first thing is to make sure the rig is in the center of the boat. Just sight up the mast along the mainsail track and make sure it looks straight and not off to one side or the other-then, to confirm, take the main halyard shackle down to one of the chainplates, and cleat it off at, say, the top of the U-bolt on deck. Then move across the boom and pull the halyard down to the same spot on the other side. If the halyard shackle rests on the deck, the mast is off to THAT side. If it rests higher off the deck, it is off to the OTHER side. If so, adjust the rigging accordingly.
If this just happened, and has not happened before, it is probably not the mast tune, but genoa lead. The most likely reason is that someone moved one of the Genoa cars forward or way back-making the sail impossible to trim correctly. On the "good tack", make sure the lead is right (as described in many of my posts)-so that the inside telltales "break" at the same time as you head up from close hauled. Then put the other side's car in the same spot. Take 2 aspirin, and call me in the morning.

Or, let me know if any of this fits your situation. If not, come back and we will keep working it through.

Good luck,
S

timoteo

Member II
Seth,

first thanks for your advice,the mast and st. rigging are ok. The app wind angle , while sailing ,lill' arrow on top of the mast (how do you pronounce that in english????)) showed me on the good tack more sharp in the wind with a nice 5 knots in speed than the other tack gave me almost a 50 degrees from app wind angle ,tracks where same!
think i go for some more sailing today"more wind than ssunshine today :devil:
and no 170%
thanks again
tim and opus

Seth

Sustaining Partner
wierd

Tim (and opus),

Still trying to understand how you are determining the App. wind angle for each tack-which indicates on tack is closer..Does your wind guage (if you have one) show 50 degrees on one tack and say 40 on the other? Or are you just looking at the mast head fly? If that is the case, there are 2 "arrows" pointing back at about 135 degrees from forward, or 45 degrees from the stern. IF THEY ARE ALIGNED CORRECTLY, the fly will line up pretty close to each "arrow" when sailing close hauled. BUT....they can move out of alignment-making one side APPEAR closer to the wind....

I would like to help you, but need to understand what you are seeing-can you email me directly with a phone # so we can speak? It will save a lot of time.

Another very good thing to check is the compass headings. Sail as close as you can (genoa trimmed right to the spreader-just kissing it), and note the heading. Then tack, and set the boat up the same way-genoa ALL the way in. Note the heading. The difference should be between 90-100 degrees. If so, you are doing fine for 5 knots with the 170. With a 150 in closer to 10 knots of wind, it should be about 90 degrees difference or slightly less.

If this makes sense, fine, but feel free to reach me directly.
cheers
s