• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Santa Cruz Island plans

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
We are planning a sail & visit to the island, leaving the morning of Sunday Aug 7th. Wind & weather permitting, we will stop at Coches Prietos anchorage, on the back side, as a first stop. Then, perhaps on to Forney'a cove. Lastly, on to the front side to either Lady's or Fry's anchorages. We may wrap up with a stop in Santa Barbara for our last night. In all, we are planning five nights before we return to Channel Islands (home port).

I know Coches can be crowded in the summer, but we hope the weekenders will have cleared out by Sun. afternoon.

:egrin:

Will there be any other Ericsons out there that week?

Regards,
Keith
E-33
"Rocinante"

windjunkee

Member III
Keith,

I won't be at the island, but I'll be passing through the chute between Santa Cruz and Anacapa on Friday. Its the big Santa Barbara/King Harbor race next Friday. As far as I know there are two Ericsons, including us, entered. Have fun at the island.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E32-2 Hull #134

Geoff Nelson

Member II
Some fool on a J105

If you see some fool on a J105 giving you the thumbs up- that's me. I am shorthanding SB-KH with some buddies on J105 Speedplay but will be there in spirit on my Ericson.

Also doing Bishop Rock on a J120 but thinking of taking the E-381 and doing Long Point Race Week. Anyone else doing or have done that race?

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Keith:

With the hunters on Santa Cruz I am not sure of the boarding rights for the island. You might want to call ahead and get the details. This hunting thing has been a real mess for me. Last time I was at Coches I could not board the island but could board at Prisoners. Although, I did hear a judge recently stopped the slaughter temporary. Better check for your safety.

Have a good sail wish I could tag along.

Don Anderson
Amigo E-27
Channel Islands/Bahia Cabrillo Yacht Anchorage

PS: It was a great sail on Saturday 7-30-05 lots of Ericsons out. Wind was blowing 20k and the seas rough. Most boats were reefed down.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Santa Cruz Island

Good luck to you Santa Barbara to King Harbor Racers! Someday, maybe we will try it. We sailed through the fleet one year....saw "Afterburner" smoke by & quickly disappear over the horizon. It looks like great fun. We will miss the fleet this year, though.

Thanks for the advice about the hunters, too. We will be wary. ;)

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Santa Cruz Island Cruise

Back from the island & now have had time to edit pics. We visited Coches & Forneys, where we stayed 3 nights. Both were great spots. Forneys is very distant, desolate & primordial.

Coches had more boats (5) & we anchored bow & stern. We sailed on to Forneys, a beat all the way. We hoped that when we rounded Gull Island the wind would be on the beam. Not the case, though. The wind wraps around the island all allong its SW coast & blows on the nose if you travel west. Forneys was roomy but lots of kelp. We enjoyed it here. The first night at Forneys there was only one other boat...Ericson 38 "Laiva" with John & Ieva. Nice folks! See the pics. Who would have thought.....a distant anchorage & only an Ericson 38 & an Ericson 33. Not a H*****, C******, or a B******* to be seen!

BTW, no sign of hunters on the island, but there were "beach closed" signs at Forneys.

We needed more wind & more sun, but a great trip anyway! We saw Santa Rosa Island in the near distance & thought about the next trip, next destination! :egrin:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Pictures

Pictures didn't get attached. Resending.

Attachments

• coches1.1.jpg
    coches1.1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 94
  • laiva at forneys1.jpg
    laiva at forneys1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 124
  • forneys1.jpg
    forneys1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 124
  • forneys2.jpg
    forneys2.jpg