• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

95 Jib track installation

jdeboer

Member I
Hello, before I'm drilling the first holes in my boat, I would love some advice.

I have a 1973 29' Ericson and sail in the SF bay. Last year I bought a new 95% jib and have been using the toerail track, with not very good upwind performance, so would love to install a new jib track which will be more forward. Any good suggestions for how far inward I should put this track (this model has outside chainplates)? As my jib is cut rather low, I can't put the track on the cabin top. Also, down below in the cabin I've noticed that If I go more than 4" inward, I would drill in a hallow sounding cabintop, so would like to avoid that. If I put this track inside, I will still need to rig the jibsheets outside the shrouds as the jibsheet will otherwise 'hang' on the shroud when sailing beam or further away from the wind. Would I make a mistake to put the track close to the shrouds?

Pics would be very helpful too!

Thank you,

Jolanda de Boer
Losierra 29, Berkeley

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jib tracks

I will be happy to help you, but need a bit more info first.

On the topic of drilling into the hollow area above the headliner-this is actually not a big deal: you can cut a hole in the headliner just below the spot you are drilling-this will give you access to the nuts and bolts, etc. The hole can be covered with a piece of nice teak cut to fit. Makes a nice cosmetic effect and provides access to the track....
Questions:

Does the leech of the sail stay in front of the spreaders (truly non-overlapping)when trimmed all the way in?

Did you have this sail built for the boat? If so, the sailmaker can tell you the for and aft limits of the track, and then the question will be how far inboard.

Hopefully, the sail DOES stay ahead of the spreaders, and if so, you may end up taking the sheet from the block on the new track back to a block on the old toe rail, then to the cockpit-this may be the faiest lead you can get..

Please email me at Sethtec@aol.com and we can save us both a lot of time-you can send me your # or you will see mine on my reply to your email.

With your answers to these questions we can chat and solve the mystery!

Good luck!