• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast paint color (white) 1989 38-200

Tsicora

Member I
I'm looking to paint only the mast in the cabin area. Above deck looks great. When it was restepped after shipping it received several chips. I'm looking for suggestions: Awgrip or automotive paint. Any application ideas are well come.

Come to think of it what would you recommend for just touching up the mast above the deck.

Thanks for the help. I just registered to the site today.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Welcome. Here are three solutions I have used:

A couple of years ago I had my white mast stripped and Awlgripped. I was told that the orignal coating was not paint, but powder coating. It was expensive, but worthwhile because there was marked pitting behind some of the hardware, like the gooseneck (and the spars gleam). The portion of the mast inside the cabin is covered with a foam backed leather cover from www.boatleather.com. (The thin foam helps to deaden mast sounds.)

I recoated the aluminum table pedestal in the cabin by stripping off all the finish, painting it with zinc chromate primer topped off with spray enamel.

For my pedestal, I took the simplest route and touched it up with white Rustoleum paint over unprimed metal. It has held up reasonably well.

Last edited:

Tsicora

Member I
Thanks for the info. I looked at the leather sight and my table would pose a problem. It would need to be in two pieces and the white will still show. The table is teak on my model. I think a simple paint application is what I’m looking for.

Has anyone gotten nice results with paint? Suggestions for paint type and color match: Rust-oleum (lacquer or gloss enamel), automotive paint, etc.

Thanks for the help :egrin:

Quiet Magic

Member II
have I seen your boat?

Hi
This question is a little off topic but by any chance is your ericson 38 on the Mississippi River in the Lake City marina? If not where?

Tsicora

Member I
You've guessed correctly. Lake City and the only 38 there. How did you figure it out?

Any suggestions on paint. I don't think it’s a high priority question on a mechanical page. Maybe in the future my boat will develop larger problems that can be solved here. :)

Great site. Should have signed up years ago.

Last edited:

Quiet Magic

Member II
nice boat

That is a pretty boat you've got. I was going down to winonoa to see the Nina with my familly and of course I had to dock walk every marina I could. so we stopped at lake city and I saw the dock where the four ericson bows meet and they drew me in like sirens. Your e-38 was the first I ever saw and it left a good impression, one look and I just wanted to jump behind the wheel and go. How long have you had and was on the river when you bought it?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Is from Minn...

I grew up in Winona. We have a 1988 38-200 on the Ches. Bay in MD. The first time I took my wife to visit, we drove past Pepin going down 61 from the airport... she couldn't believe that people sailed on "that little wide spot in the river". :p Good on you!

To keep on topic...
I'd check with the local rig shop or call Kenyon and see what they say. If the rest of the mast paint is cherry, it would be a shame to mess it up by not using the right stuff.
Chris

Tsicora

Member I
The Harbor Queen

Steve,
To answer your question and then some: The boat was purchased from a marine on Lake Michigan. It spent most of its winter life stored indoors, and summering in fresh water until I purchased it 5 years ago. It looked almost new the prior owners lightly used it. They called the boat The Harbor Queen as a joke. My original plan was to buy a large boat that I would race and my wife and kids fell in love with the Ericson when we were boat shopping in Chicago.

I know I made the right decision in purchasing the 38 it has no problems over taking most of the boats on the lake. Keeping the misses happy and willing to come to the boat is another benefit :) . I still play around with a few 470’s when it’s really windy.

The 38 came with a few bells and whistles that I didn’t think I needed for Pepin, but I’m not complaining. North 3DL sails, Gps chart plotter, and AC the list goes on. The prior owner likes toys :rolleyes: .

Since you’ve been down I’ve decided to strip all the bright work and bring it back with 10 coats of Varnish. It has several custom teak pieces that are not standard on the boat so I’m having fun.

Thanks for the interest in the boat. Stop in the next time you are down. I might be aboard tinkering.

Chris,
Its funny you should comment on Lake Pepin. I’ve sailed on the great lakes and my wife is terrified of superior. So a lake 23 miles long and three miles across, sandy beaches, No mosquitoes (moving water), great restaurants, great towns up and down, and lots of anchorages its a perfect place for a floating cabin that my wife and kids enjoy. The area between the bluffs seems to always be windy when I’m allowed to sail.

Thanks for the suggestion to contact Kenyon. My guess is that it is powder coated. They may have a secondary solution for just touch up.

Thanks for the comments, Tom :egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I doubt the mast is powder coated as you would need one hell of an oven to get that done. I repainted the spreaders on my 89' E 38-200. I used Interlux Interthanes 2 part paint and their metal primers. You probably wont need the primers unless its really chipped up bad. Foam roller and brush to tip out and you should be fine, make sure you thin it out right. If you get the viscosity right it will flow so well you wont be able to tell it was not sprayed. The white was a super match in my case. I also like the idea mentioned earlier about a cover though. Guess you would need to do a little custom tailoring to accomodate the table. Good luck.

BTW, you mentioned AC on your 38. Curious where it is installed, what make unit you have, and if you had to lose a water tank to do it. I have a Mermaid unit under the port setee and it displaced a 40 gallon water tank.

Tsicora

Member I
AC Location

Ted,
I have a mental block as to the name of the air unit (It is a 12000 btu reverse cycle air conditions/heater). It might be a Adler Barbour or that might be the name of the frig; all my paper work is down at the boat.

To answer the rest of your questions: I did not need to loose the other water tank. The unit is installed on the port side of the forward berth. One air duck is run through the cabinets to approximately the center of the dining table. It does a nice job of shooting air all the way to the aft cabin if the door is left open. It also has a small duct for the forward cabin. The cold air intake is right next to the drawers in the forward berth. All in all I very satisfied with the install of the unit.

If you still want to know the name of the unit, I am going to the boat in two weeks.

Paint related: I’m a little concerned with a clean paint line next to the aluminum center track even with tape and razor. With rollering the paint it seems like the build up would create a pretty messy edge detail when the tape is removed. Just thinking like a putz. I don’t want the solution to worse than what is already there.

Thanks Tom

Last edited: