• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shaft Inline?

rogerdann

I have experienced a shaft shearing off (E27 + A4). I am thinking due to shaft missalignment. I have finally got the new shaft in (in the water!) but the engine seems way out of alignment, perhaps 1 to 1 1/2" at the forward end. I have had to pull the engine forward into the cabin and cut the sbd. engine compartment to get enough room to move the engine over. Has anyone else experienced this?
The shaft is obviously not running on the centerline of the boat, but what was the factory angle? Any info appreciated - this has turned out to be a big job.

Emerald

Hi,

I didn't have any issues like this when I put a new shaft in my E-27. My first reaction is your strut that holds the end of the shaft must be torqued. A very minor twist in the strut (or the strut bearing is totally shot) could result in the change you're talking about by the time your 3 feet away (inside the boat).

You did this in the water, so it's hard to tell without sinking, but do you have any idea if the shaft is straight through the hull? I would guess that it is coming in at an angle. What does your stuffing box look like? It should be coming straight off the shaft log without any bending.

Another thing to check is that you don't have a collapsed motor mount or two, causing the engine to be way out of wack.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Shaft inline what have you found?

rogerdann

Have you found the cause of the alignment problem? I am really curious about this one. As mentioned by David the only cause of this problem I can think of would be a strut out of alignment. Did you hit something with the prop at some time earlier? A misaligned engine to prop shaft is the most common cause of broken prop shafts.

Randy
Buffett18r@direcway.com