• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Steering - Quadrant Stop

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My 1980 E38 has the YS steering pedestal and the 4" adjustable sheave assembly with quadrant stop. See page 23 of the Yacht Specialties Steering Catalog in the Specs & Docs section of the board.

How is the quadrant stop held in the casting? It's hanging there under the cockpit floor, with a little sloppiness, but I can't see or feel a set screw, or pin, or any kind of retaining system.

The quadrant stop has interfered very slightly with the quadrant since I before I bought the boat. There is a slight 'hitch' or resistance in the wheel about one spoke before reaching either stop. Last weekend, with my parents aboard for their first ride in a sailboat, the little 'hitch' got much bigger. We have a very tight S-turn to make approaching our slip at Harbor Island and I have to go - gently - from stop to stop during the approach. The wheel hung up coming off the stops, and although it really wasn't an issue in the end, it was a surprise to have the high resistance where there was usually very little.

After a few upside-down visits to the aft cockpit locker, it looks like the stop is just hanging a little lower than it used to, although I can't push it up and make it stay. The metal tube showing below the red plastic or rubber padding is hitting the horizontal web of the quadrant spoke. The diagram attached is similar to my situation, but the clearance is now nil.

Thanks,

Attachments

• YS_Quadrant_Stop_detail-small.jpg
    YS_Quadrant_Stop_detail-small.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 3,261

stbdtack

Member III
quadrant stop....

My quadrant stop is the same way, loose enough to turn but it seems to stay put.
I had to cut mine a little shorter to keep from keep from interfering with the new auto pilot installation. I just took my dewalt cordless sawzall to it. Removed about 1/4". Grabbed it with vice-grips so it wouldnt turn while i cut it.

Hard to tell how its attached without removing the sheave carrier. I think if yours is moving down you could tap it back up and drill thru the whole thing. Id drill a 3/16 hole and use a 10-24 panhead screw with a nylock nut.

hodo

Member III
quadrant stop

Craig, I am going down to Mischief Maker this week end. I'll check mine out and let you know what I find. What part is falling down, the pin with the hose on it , or is the bracket loose? We may be able to hook up if you want to go along. I think I may have a manual on the whole system, but I can't say for sure. Harold :devil:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My thought exactly

Cut the tail off that thing. Positively securing it would be a good idea too. If I don't find anything else, that's probably what I will do.

The sheave bracket and quadrant are secure. The holder for the stop is part of the sheave casting. The stop tube (pin with hose on it) is the only 'loose' item under there and it just wiggles a little. It may drop in from the top. That seems like a silly (but secure) way to do it. Stuff is hard enough to get apart on boats as it is. :confused: However, it's lasted 25 years or so.

It did occur to me that the rudder shaft could have moved up, or the quadrant could have moved upward on the rudder shaft. I don't know how the rudder shaft is retained, or how the packing system is actually assembled. It is nice and dry under there. I checked for rudder sloppiness and it was quite tight on the haulout in April. The shaft and tube and all that stuff near the top of the rudder shaft look ok, but I'm not too sure what to look for when everything is tight. I haven't hit anything with the rudder, either.

I have a Foss foam replacement rudder - it's longer than the original I think. I took the emergency tiller access cover off and shined a light down the rudder shaft. There's a little puddle down there. I doubt that has anything to do with this, but maybe I should dry that up.

Hodo, if you have a manual, that would be great. I do not recall one in my library. If you have one we should hook up. I'd like a copy or I could make a scan (which we could post in the docs section). Our weekend plan is to head out to an anchoring spot Friday evening and return Saturday afternoon. I won't be available til Sunday this week.

Thanks,

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Quadrant

Craig, if you would like to email me with a contact Number, Sunday may work. Harold

stbdtack

Member III
rudder moving....

That was my other thought , that the rudder had moved up. Mine has a 3/16" plastic washer between the hull and the rudder. That keeps the rudder from going up. There is another plastic washer between the quadrant and the top of the rudder tube (which is the bronze packing gland), that keeps it from going down. The quadrant is clamped on and has a through bolt so i doubt it has moved. The packing gland is similar to the shaft packing gland except that it's 4" diameter. There are four bolts with nuts that clamp it together.
My rudder had a little slop so I replaced the worn bronze lower bearing with a UHMW sleeve. I had a new "naval bronze" sleeve pressed into the upper bearing. No slop now....
You have an extra rudder!!?? bigger?? I would really like to put a bigger rudder on....maybe elliptical

Just for reference: When my rudder is in the proper vertical position the post is flush with the top bearing sleeve (unscrew the cover plate to see it)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
No extra rudder

One of the previous owners bought the Foss rudder - I have the receipt in the papers. I have read here on the board that the Foss generally was a performance improvement (longer) over the original design. I do not know where the original is but it didn't come along to me.

It does have a minor issue - it has a delamination bubble on the right side about halfway up. No cracks, just a bulge.

I'll take a couple pictures of the top of the rudder so I can figure out how it's secured.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Thanks for all the replies. Footloose you are my hero (today) lol.
Plan to shave the post and add the rubber tube. Thought it should have one but I ho knows with different designers.
The rudder side, toward the top, is rubbing the pocket a bit on the port side. Many years of paint in there.
Need to address this before gaining more travel. I did check for vertical rudder movement and couldn’t find any.
Rudder play side to side is minor and a job for next winter.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You're welcome, but I just brought up the problem. Thanks go to Ben on Pau Hana. He had the insights and solutions!