• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Mainsheet recommendations

clayton

Member III
I recently upgraded the blocks for my mid-boom sheeting setup and doubled up the purchase. Subsequently, I need a longer mainsheet. Sailnet has some attractive pricing for Sta-Set and Sta-Set X. Has anyone used either for a mainsheet? Any comments as to 'hand' and wear and UV degradation? I currently have what appears to be Regatta Braid (all New England Ropes products) and it is comfortable to handle. I'll stick with 7/16", it feels more comfortable than 3/8" (surprising that 1/16" makes a difference). Thanks in advance for any comments.
Clayton

lbertran

Member III
I Have Sta-Set

I replaced all of my running rigging this Spring. I used Sta-Set for sheets and reef lines and Sta-Set X for halyards. I'm happy with my choice. Sta-Set has a much nicer hand than Sta-Set X.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, E35-3

Mindscape

Member III
Sta-set

I also replaced all my halyards and sheets this year with sta set and sta set x. I agree with Larua - the Sta Set is a little better to handle.

clayton

Member III
Mainsheet recommendations

Thanks Laura and Frank! StaSet is will be then... Frank, I remember your earlier post (several months ago) asking about improving purchase in the mainsheet setup. I went with Garhauer, and replaced the 2 single blocks on the boom with doubles, and had Garhauer make up a double fiddle block w/ becket which attaches to the traveler car. The sheet still leads forward to the mast and back to a clutch. Next step is to replace the 2 single blocks left in the system (forward on the boom and at the mast collar) with new ones to eliminate the friction. The improvement so far is substantial, now possible to sheet in by hand instead of using the winch. On my 32-200, the sheeting is more like forward 1/3 boom than mid boom. I'll try to post a picture soon. Total cost from Garhauer was approx. $160 including shipping.
Thanks again.
Clayton
:egrin:

Mindscape

Member III
Mainsheet

Thanks for the info Clayton. I'm looking to replace the blocks and the sheaves on the deck organizers. I'm probabaly going to go with Garhauer, can't beat the cost. I've got to see if I can replace the sheaves in the Schaefer deck organizers with ball bearing sheaves, or if the entire organizer needs to be replaced. I'm hoping that on my 32-3 that will be enough, otherwise I may need increase the purchase.

lbertran

Member III
Sailnet Reportedly Out of Business

Clayton-
Be careful about ordering the rope from Sailnet. There have been reports on the Ericson email list that they are out of business.

The street buzz down here in Florida is that SAILNET is kaput. Several years ago the company stiffed some magazines down here on their advertising bills and never faced up to the responisbility. It has been pretty much BS dealing with them. I'd try a safer supplier.

Joe Benedict

Member II
Sta Set/Sailnet

I received a shipment of Sta Set line and some circuit breakers from SailNet last week - one line is on back order and they are supposedly having a big sail on Sta Set line. If anyone has any information on the economic well being of SailNet I would appreciate it so I can purchase the line elsewhere. Otherwise "the reports of my death a premature."

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sailnet ordering quandaries

Since their site lists some short lengths of line for sale, but also states that the "checkout is temporarily disabled," I tried to call and ask about the line situation. After all, the prices on the short lengths were good... :rolleyes:

As of 0728 PDT today July 20, their 1-800 # is working, but only the automated portions. When you press the number for "sales" you get an automated announcement telling you *not* to leave "any more messages" and a request to sent an email with your question to someone (initial and last name) @sailnet.com.
So, the leased call-routing system is still working, but there is no evidence that anyone is home...
:(
If you have a potential credit card charge for unshipped goods, you might want to follow up promptly and take some appropriate action...
:eek:

Best,
Loren in PDX

ps: I wonder if Defender Industries is adding staff? And, if the brass hats at West Marine are drinking a toast.... ?
[ big sigh ]

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
No word that I have heard about West Marine's board but their stock has been taking a beating all year. Trading at 18.00 right now down from 26.00 in January. Not sure whats going on there. In terms of mail order you may want to try www.pyact.com. Pretty good prices on a lot of stuff. www.apsltd.com also has great pricing on line and other stuff. I used 3/8 marlowbraid at .74/ft for halyard from APS.

Last edited:

Joe Benedict

Member II
I get the same 800 responses. I just remembered that I emailed them last Thursday - no response. The main catalog still lists Sta Set for about half of what WM/BUS lists it for - but if they are out of business I guess it's like being the best hockey player in Equador.

Joe Benedict

Member II
SailNet Status

The following is the text of an email I got from SailNet and also now appears on the opneing page of their website. This may need to be posted in another forum.

"It has come to the attention of SailNet that postings have appeared on
unmoderated forums that we host containing rumors and allegations against
former and current management. We have no knowledge that any of the claims
or allegations in these postings are true. We are attempting to remove as
many of these unmoderated postings as possible.

The authors of any such postings will be held fully and solely responsible
and liable for their content."

If you cannot get anyone to answer the phone at Sailnet, then it seems obvious that trying to do business with these people would be like urinating into the wind, no matter what they have posted on the website.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Below copied from Sailing Anarchy website:

The Biz

Dead

We understand that Sailnet is indeed dead, having closed their doors last week, and are not answering phones/e-mails. As to what specifically happened, we do not know but apparently new management came from the mail order business and knew little about the sailing world. Rumors are flying of course, but it sounds like big money was lost by the investors, and apparently the bank has taken a position on the property and the inventory. Some of the employee's are trying to acquire the Air Force Sails. .Bummer for sure and we'll keep you posted..

7/20/05

Kevin Vine

Better Mainsheet sheeting!

I have an Ericson 26-2 (1984).

The factory made the boat with a coach-roof sheeting system which catches the boom less than half-way back. Bad form, lousy geometry. I wonder what Mr. King was thinking?!

I'm thinking that it would be a better plan to re-situate the traveller in the cockpit, just aft of the companionway. The purchase would be way better, and the traveller would allow for much finer adjustments. And you wouldn't ever need a winch to sheet in the main! Harken makes a traveller arrangement where the sheet and traveller control lines are all within inches of each other. Great for small boat short-handing.

Anyone have thots on this? Do you think the boat would stand the relocated strain? (which would be considerably less than where it is presently!)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Mid boom sheeting

These boats did have the traveller going accross the 'pit just aft of the companionway early on, IIRC, but the majority of buyers back then complained about blocked access to the cabin, and comfort trumped efficiency in the marketing dept.

So.... the trav was moved to the spot over the hatch as a result. It should be pretty easy to through bolt a Harken (or??) traveller-I think there is even a smooth area about 4" wide in the right location (original tooling had this to accomodate a traveller). Be sure and use a full length backing plate under the track that is at least the full width of the traveller-and ideally a tad wider (1/8"-1/4" overhang on either side).

You will also likely want to add another bale on the boom a bit farther aft to keep the sheet purchase in line.

Bolt the trav controls/blocks either on the cokpit walls or use the type that actually slide onto the traveller, and you are good to go!

Make sense?

S

Bob in Va

Member III
cockpit traveler

My '76 E23 has essentially the the setup Seth describes. The boat was equipped that way when I bought it, but I changed the track and traveler to Harken units. I strongly recommend the windward sheeting car - it is pricey, but once you have used it a while, you will agree it is money well spent, especially if you are finicky about mainsail trim. This allows me to sit in the cockpit with one hand on the tiller and the other on the traveler line, and to set the lower tell-tales and adjust the helm pressure easily with the other line (3 to 1, with track mounted turning blocks like Seth describes). With a single bail mounted midway on the boom there is a lot of strain - I know, because I broke a boom last year at that point. Luckily I was given another boom, identical to my old one, but the bail attachment is about 14" farther aft. This works real well, as it is much closer to the clew slug, where all the stress is located, and has the added benefit of creating more space in front of the mainsheet when sailing, which is a big help when racing. The sheet angles back from the traveler instead of running straight up and down when close hauled. If you are interested in performance and safety, having the traveler track near the companionway is a small inconvenience - we hardly notice it any more. But you do want to be careful not to step inadvertantly in the gap between the track and the bridgedeck - it would be a bad place to have your leg with your body weight going the other direction.

Joe Benedict

Member II
Unintended Consequences

I bought my E29 because of experiences I was having at the time with the J boats I was renting. The traveler was located just aft of the companionway hatch on the J boat and guests really had difficulty. When it came to buying my boat it was down to the endboom traveler (pedestal steering) E29 and a couple of other mid-cockpit designs - access to the cabin was the deciding factor. Last weekend I was baking in the sun and wondering about getting a bimini for the boat that would need to be fitted around the aft stay. If you move your traveler aft an unintended consequence may be problems (aka added expense) of having a dodger or bimini fitted. That may not be an issue with the northern latitudes but it is an issue with a 95+ degree day on Lake Michigan with a water temperature of 80.