• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spinnaker pole foreguy location, E30+

Meanolddad

Member III
Does anyone know where the Spinnaker pole foreguy,(downhaul), attatches to the foredeck. We just bought a spinnaker to go with all the spinnaker rigging that came with the boat and for the life of me I cannot figure out where the foreguy is attatched.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated
Greg

escapade

Inactive Member
Downhaul attachment

Greg
On my old 30+ I added a block to a 12" piece of 3/8" line and attached it to the stem plate (used one of the holes for the headsail tack anchor). This worked fine as long as you do a dip-pole type jibe. I had a bridal on the pole for the topping lift & attached the downhaul to the outboard (guy) end of the pole. Saved having to add a pad-eye to the middle of the fore-deck. I then ran the downhaul to a rope clutch in the cockpit. This made it handy when jibeing short handed. Hope this helps you out.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Foreguy location

Greg,

There is usually a section of genoa track on the fordeck-along the centerline in the smooth area just forward of the hatch. If so, use a sliding padeye on this track, and using a block attached to this padeye, run the foreguy from the pole bridle, through the block, then aft either to the clutches as described earlier, or down the side(s) of the cabin top to the cockpit-using a cam cleat on the outboard edge of the cabin top. If there is no track, you will need a string padeye bolted tghrough the deck in the same area-the usual location for this is 1/3 of the J measurement aft of the stem fitting.

The simplest thing is a single line down one side of the deck, but a double ended forguy will give you more purchase and allow adjust memnt from either side of the cockpit!

The 30+ is best suited for end for end gybing-NOT dip pole gybes.

If you have more specific questions let us know-we ware here to help!

Fair winds,
S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan B, maybe...

If you ordinarily sail in light air, you might want to consider a "pole downhaul" rather than a true foreguy. If the chute on the 30+ is small enough (or the loads are small enough in lighter air) this can save a lot a line-tending when moving the pole back and forth.
We did this on our prior boat, a fractional Niagara 26, and it worked great in all wind conditions. Admittedly that was a smaller chute.
:rolleyes:
To define my terms, I call a pole downhaul a line that is snapped to the bottom briddle and led to a swivle block at the base of the front of the mast. From there it is led back down the housetop to a cam cleat, perhaps double-ended and led down both side of the housetop, although we did not do this on our N-26.

On our 34 footer we have a modern double-ended foreguy led down both sides of the cabin trunk, and this is certainly more appropriate for the loads.
The (relatively) smaller spinnaker of the 30+ might make the downhaul approach do-able. Seth will know better, though. And I must admit that there are obvious limits to using "small boat solutions" on larger boats...
:eek:

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Meanolddad

Member III
Thank you both for the response. I was confused by the lack of a track or padeye on the foredeck. My old Ranger 22 had it molded into the foredeck. All the other spinnaker gear is on the boat, blocks, sheets, pole and even the camcleat on the cabinhouse. I guess I will put in a padeye or a track. It just goes against my nature to drill a hole in a boat.
Thanks
Greg

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Foreguy Forewarned

Well "Dad",

I guess you have a very "stock" boat-which is a good thing..

If you want proper control of your spinnaker pole, you will need to properly rig the foreguy, and you should now embark on the time honored tradition of drilling (and sometimes redrilling) your deck for the installation.

Funny you say that it went against your instincts, because sailors, being tinkerers by nature, tend to be notorious hole drillers...

But seriously folks, there is nothing wrong with this, and there is nothing on deck that can't be repaired, so go look at some other production boats-preferably E-boats, mark and drill! Remember the rough formula to locate to blocks: 1/3 of the J measurement aft of the stem fitting...

Thanks-I'll be here all week, and remember to tip your server!

S :egrin: :devil: :p

Meanolddad

Member III
To many years of fixing holes that were drilled in error. The boat not really stock. Looks to have been raced and has all the other gear, I just thought I was missing something.
Thanks
Greg

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Don't forget jerry-riggers!

Sailors (especially racer dudes) are also notorious for jerry-rigging stuff that just wasn't meant to happen in order to get an effect. "hey, let's tie off this line to the bow pulpit and we can go (insert your own illusion here: higher, faster, deeper, farther, etc...).
I'm with you, Dad, the less holes I drill- the less prof. repair work I have to pay $75/hr for :rolleyes:
Chris