• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Adding Inner Forestay to E-39B

boatboy

Inactive Member
We are looking to do an upgrade to the rigging that requires an answer to two questions. We would like to add a removeable inner forestay for using a relatively small hank on jib (maybe an 85?) on upwind legs in strong wind -- we live in San Francisco. We would also use this for hanking on a proper storm jib if/when we find ourselves in extreme conditions.

The mast (original) has two welded tabs. One of them is obviously for a spinnaker pole topping lift, I'm assuming the other one (higher up) is for just this purpose.

So here are the two questions:

1) If we use the upper tab for attaching the inner forestay, would we need to use running backs? We would certainly like to avoid this if possible. One sail plan drawing I've seen for this boat seems to show an inner forestay, but with no running backs detailed.

2) I have attached a heavy duty padeye on the deck just forward of (and adjacent to) the forward-most bulkhead (chainlocker). I have the four bolts for this padeye going through a fairly large (6" x 10" x 1/4") stainless steel backing plate. This is currently being used for the foreguy attachment point. If I welded on an extension to this plate at a right angle, (so that it is parallel to and right against the bulkhead) and through-bolted it to the bulkhead, would this be strong enough for the foreguy? Or would I have to glass in a tie-rod to the bow? I'm hoping the former is strong enough, but I don't want to risk damaging the deck.

Anyone of any experience with this?

Last edited:

boatboy

Inactive Member
Answer from Bruce King

In case any one else was interested in the questions I posted, here is the answer that I received from Bruce King today...

The early 39's were often sailed with a double headsail rig, although
this rig was generally used in normal conditions - i.e. windspeed 25 knots
or less. The usual inner forestay attachment point was to a car on a
section of genoa track along the centerline on the foredeck. There was also
an L-bracket between the chain locker bulkhead and the bottom of the deck.
This arrangement was acceptable for use in the forementioned wind speeds;
however, I would hesitate to use this for a storm jib. If that capability
is desired then there should be a tie rod to a substantial attachment point
on the hull. You will definitely need running backstays. These were
generally run to a car on the genoa tracks as far aft as possible and
usually consisted of a plastic covered 7 x l9 cable with a 4 to 1 block and
tackle with intergral camcleat and snap shackle at the lower end. Today
instead of wire cable you would be better off using Spectra.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
Bruce King

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Inner forstay

Bruce is 100% correct (no big surprise here)-if you use the inner forestay for an upwind sail, the attachment will need to be tied down to a bulkhead, and you will need runners-they should terminate on the mast at the same height as the welded forestay tang.

Using the padeye you described, you could probably use a reaching staysail in moderate conditions and be OK, but I would still install the runners-frankly-I cannot imagine setting a boat up for these kinds of conditions and NOT including runners as part of the overall concept-If you are serious about offshore sailing-this is one of the FIRST things to add-it does not mean you must use them all the time, but they should be avilable.

Cheers,
S