• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wheel Pilot

Mikebat

Member III
Over in the tiller pilot thread, there were some praises for the Simrad tiller pilots. I wonder if that same praise can be carried over to the wheel pilot units? The WP32 is the model I am looking at. Anybody have any experience with it?

I've considered and ruled out a below-decks pilot. The cost is pretty high, and the space taken up in the lazarette is more than I want to give up. I plan to add a windvane later, one of the auxilliary-rudder type like the Hydrovane, so I again avoid taking up space in the lazarette for the quadrant and rigging. I like the idea of having a secondary rudder, too. I expect to use the vane as the primary steering pilot while making passages, when I eventually go cruising. So a wheel pilot makes more sense for the electric pilot, than a below-decks model. It can also be removed without too much hassle and put on another boat, unlike a below-decks model.

But is the WP32 a good one?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Cant speak to the WP32 but i have the predecessor the WP30. It did not work correctly when I purchased the boat in Jan. I sent it in to be repaired. The postal service managed to trash it in shipping. Cost me $450 to have repaired. Got it back 5 weeks later. Still does not work... It gets power and will turn the boat if I push the right or left buttons but it will not keep the boat on any kind of steady course even in flat water and no breeze motoring. I have calibrated it per the manual but to no avail. I think I am almost calm enough now to call Simrad back and see where I go from here...

lbertran

Member III
Wp32

I installed a WP32 on my previous boat and liked it so much I removed it and installed it on my E35-3 when I bought it this Winter. I've only had one problem with it, the clutch mechanism locked up with the WP disengaged. I was able to release it and sent the unit to Simrad. It was repaired for a minimal charge and returned reasonably quickly. The unit steers well under both sail and motor power. The only point of sail that I find is not great is directly downwind. We would not want to cruise without a WP and are pleased with the Simrad.

Richard Elliott

Member III
Simrad Wheelpilots

My WP30 broke a drive belt barely into the second season of service (Simrad recommends inspecting/replacing the belt after 18 months) while cruising in British Columbia. After searching several marine stores, I was told by Simrad that the nearest drive belt was in Nova Scotia! Returning home, I requested a replacement belt under warranty. Being over one year, the warranty no longer covers labor, parts only. That's O.K., right? No! Simrad will not supply the belt under warranty, requiring to to be installed by their technician. Therefore, my choices were to remove the entire unit, ship it Simrad at my cost and pay their technician about $60, or pay for the $60 belt and install it myself, which I did. Sailboats are supposed to be relatively self-sufficient. Requiring a factory technician seems ludicrous. I would not buy Simrad again because of (1) the ridiculous warranty and, more importantly (2) the lack of ready availability of drive belts. I suspect I could have easily gotten a Raymarine belt. BTW I bought a spare belt from Simrad. BTW heavyweight Spectra fishing line repaired the belt for several days.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ray-whatever

The PO installed a (Raytheon) Autohelm ST4000 Wheel autopilot around 1995. It has worked fine for the 2+ years I've had it. I'd have to ask him if he ever had any problems. Are the Raymarine wheel pilot units so expensive? I am praying this one doesn't fail for a few more years. I do like the fact that it's all installed above decks.

Except for a tendency to make an uncommanded 30° left turn when I approach Todd Shipyards, I haven't had any problems. Must be a few tons of scrap iron on the bottom around there somewhere.

I haven't removed the wheel so I do not know how the motor fits/attaches to the ring on the wheel. It makes some noise during operation, too. Not too annoying - I have napped in the cockpit while it was doing it's thing.