• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Speed E-25 C/b??

briangsmith

Member II
don't seem to find this anywhere in the specs/manual-
she seems to sail well in 15 k winds up to a speed of
4, 4 1/2 knots- motors in this range well (outboard)
as well- but can i get more??

bgs

Hull speed is 1.35 times the square root of the waterline. You can figure your potential from that. I have an E-27 that routinely sails above five knots in 10 knots of wind, so it would seem to me that 4 to 4.5 is below the potential of your boat. Of course, I am assuming that your sail trim, sail condition, angle of heel, rudder angle, amount of board in the water is perfect for your point of sail.
Morgan Stinemetz

Guy Stevens

How did you measure the boat speed?

There are a couple of ways to go wrong in measuring.

1> Using anything resembling a knotmeter. Simply not very accurate most of the time.

2> Calculating boat speed while a current is present.

3> Not looking through the cocktail or beer glass at the indicator, whatever flavor it is.

Most people are able to get their boats up to at least 4 times the square root of the waterline if they use a cocktail or beer glass for a viewing filter :)

Seriously you should be going between 1.1 and 1.4 times the square root of the waterline of your boat. But before you check everything that you are doing sailing it, check the measuring device and conditions that you are using the measuring device under.

Guy
:)

Bob in Va

Member III
calculated

Your hull speed is 6.1 kts, ref: www//image-ination.com/sailcalc.html of course you can exceed it for limited periods surfing, etc., but I suspect if the bottom is clean and sails decent, you can see this number by GPS under the right conditions for extended time spans.