• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Air Conditioning for 38-200????

palmerjv

We are going to install an Air Conditioning unit in our 38-200 and just wondering where the best place for installation would be and an appropriate size?
Initially we are considering a 20,000 btu and installing the unit in the port aft compartment but are open to all input.
Thanks,
James

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ac...

We have a factory installed Cruise Air system that has the main unit starboard side between the two storage areas, then a second unit in the "stateroom" mounted just above and fwd of the bunk.
Just as an FYI.
Chris

ps. try to mount your seawater pump somewhere easy to get to!

Ray Rhode

Member III
James,

Don't know how much help this will be since we have different boats but here goes. I live in the Florida panhandle near Destin/Fort Walton Beach and I just installed a 16,500 BTU Mermaid unit in my E35-III. Mermaid had indicated that a smaller unit would be sufficient but I'm very glad I got the bigger unit. Today it is in the 90s and the unit is doing just fine but it runs a lot just to keep up and if the boat heats up before I turn it on it never catches up.

I am not familiar with the layout of your boat so my installation pictures may not help but I'll post them for you and the group anyway. The raw water system fits between the starboard bulkhead and the starboard water tank. This was wasted space and after literally weeks of staring at it and measuring it I managed to get the thru hull, strainer and pump crammed in there. As you can see from the picture it is a tight fit.

The unit itself is located in the hanging locker on the starboard side just forward of the starboard bulkhead. I installed a shelf and was able to get the unit and two pieces of ducting in there. It is a very compact installation and uses very little space. The raw water runs from the pump throught the bulkhead and then out the side of the hanging locker.

You might contact Mermaid and ask if they have any recommendations. I visited the plant and they were very helpful.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III #189

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
My 1989 E 38-200 came with the 16,500 BTU Mermaid unit. It was installed under the port setee aft seat and displaced the 40 gal water tank. We have ducts in the v berth, main salon, and one exiting just below the galley sink blowing into the aft cabin. Chesapeake bay gets terribly hot with 90%+ humidity. These were conditions just last week. The unit works perfectly. It cools the boat down from fully boiling to 74 degrees in about 20 minutes . The heat cycle works great too. I used it in april when I first launched. The programmable thermosat is really nice as well. Only down side is the loss of my 40 gal water tank. The unit even in the hottest weather we have had does not run constantly. After about 30 minutes of running it wil start to cycle. Don't know the timing but it seems to be normal to me. I can try and take pics but I always forget to take the camera to the boat...

rotorhead

Member II
More questions on A/C

To Chris Miller,
Chris....did you installed the A/C unit under the starboard settee..????

I just aquired an ericson 380, and would like to install the A/C without sacrificing the hanging lockers.
My boat is at Tortola, BVI, and the trade winds make A/C unneccesary, unless you are in a marina, or is raining. My plans are to install a 16K-20 k btu unit running on regular current, and since i don't have a genset, perhaps installing a 12DC A/C for the stateroom only in case I am at anchor. The unit is manufactured by Glacier Bay (DC Breeze) and use 48 amps.
My questions are:
Is possible to install the air under the SB settee?
Is the DC air idea feasible, or impractical

Thanks to all...
Rotorhead
San Juan. :D PR

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Starboard side...

Our Cooling/Heating Unit is installed on the Starboard side between the shrouds and the hull in the center section (the port side has a book shelf there) with the airflow coming through the cabinet with the caned doors adjacent to it (aft). The control panel is at the nav station. The condenser unit is in the starboard lazarette in the cockpit mounted on a shelf with the reefer unit next to it. The water pump for the condenser is under the shower seat, which is a POOR (let me re-iterate--- really poor) location. I'm trying to attach a picture to help. It's the only one I have of that particular part of the interior. I've labeled the basics.
We also have a second remote unit mounted in the aft quarter berth on the bulkhead that is the cockpit well.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Chris

Attachments

• Starboard Cabin.JPG
    Starboard Cabin.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 316

vbenn

Member III
I'm thinking of a Marine Air Systems 16000 BTU unit to be installed in the locker under the V-berth, port side. Return air grille will be installed just to left of the drawers under the V-berth. Supply air vent will be installed in starboard bulkhead separating main cabin from V-berth.

Any opinions as to whether 16k is large enough for Cheasapeake summers or if I should consider a different manufacturer?

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
E380 #22

rotorhead

Member II
I just purchased two Mermaids, a 16K btu for the saloon and v-berth, and a 5.2 Kbtu for the aft cabin (E380). Being closer to the Equator, I opted for the larger unit (M16), as the dimensions are almost the same as the 12 Kbtu. The smaller unit is to supplement the larger one during the summer, or if anchored away from shore power with no breeze. Cool down things for an hour (inverter), and then use the fan.

Being further North, i think the 16Kbtu will work nicely. Reverse cycle option would be a plus. Regarding installation, I am still working on that, will let you know...

Ismael
Erica of Falmouth
E380 # 24

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have been very happy on the Chesapeake with my Mermaid unit. See my earlier post. I like the idea of moving it to the v berth area though. Then I could put my water tank back. Not sure if its worth all the work to move though... It would mean adding 50 lbs or so to the bow as well which does not thrill me either. In my case its a trade off between water supply and sailing performance. Although I'm not so sure 50 lbs more in the bow would be all that bad.

vbenn

Member III
a/c

I could use some extra weight forward. My E380 is aft heavy with water and fuel tanks. Full tank of water forward does not offset the difference, so I'm thinking of re-installing 150' of chain.

Vince Benn