• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M-25XP Fresh Water Pump

clayton

Member III
This past Sunday, cranked up the diesel and heard loud squealing. The belt was running over the fresh water (coolant) recirculating pump which wasn't turning. Tried moving the belt by hand several times, and the pump would move and then seem to hang up. Tried restarting a couple more times, but no movement on the f.w. pump. Since it was beastly hot, I didn't want to spend the afternoon taking things apart...Has anyone else had this problem? I checked out the schematic on Torresen's site, is replacing the pump a bear of a job? Any ideas as to whether or not it could be the bearing? Thanks in advance for any help, technical or spiritual!

Clayton
'89 E32-200
Universal M-25XP

hodo

Member III
Water Pump

Hi Clayton, if this is like the other Universals I have worked on, it is a pretty straightforward repair. Drain the cooling system, remove the belt by loosening the alternator,then remove the nuts or bolts (I've seen both),I think there are four, and remove the pump. If it does"nt come right off, a GENTLE tap perpendicular to the pump shaft should loosen it. The pump is rebuildable so dont throw it out as a friend of mine did. You will probably find one of the bushings has gone bad. Also, If the belt has spun on the siezed pump, you will need to replace it. Good Luck, Harold p.s. You are fortunate it happened at the dock. :cheers:

clayton

Member III
Water pump...

Thank you Harold for your reply. I got a lot of 'chop busting' from the peanut gallery for not sailing out for the day and then back in. The thought of trying to paddle a 10,000 pound gorilla in a shallow channel at the end of the day wasn't for me...Thanks again,
Clayton

clayton

Member III
M25 Xp fresh water pump

I finally got to replace the f.w. recirc. pump. Found the part # for Kubota off the Catalina 34 website. It is Kubota # 15443-73030. Gasket is #15676-73430. Thermostat is # 15531-73010, and thermo gasket is # 15676-73270. I got the f.w. pump through www.tractorsmart.com (717-450-1250) for $84 plus $5 shipping direct from Kubota. Torresen's price was $227. I didn't need to drain the cooling system to do the changeover, only a small amount of coolant came out. I first disconnected the hose on the top of the pump (from the hot water heater) and plugged it with a wooden plug. Did the same for the large hose off the bottom of the pump, then unbolted the pump from the engine block and replaced it, and the belt. Followed the advice in other threads on 'burping' the air from the system. Engine temp stays the same as before, 160 degrees. Total time as a newbie, 2 hours. Shiny new pump really makes the old Universal brown paint look yukkie, and the blue primer underneath...

Clayton