• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Plans for the 4th ?

Sven

Seglare
We get 4 days off, so it is time to head out !

I assume that Isthmus will be packed, but there always seems to be room on the stringline.

We were also told that Barbara Streisand puts on a better fireworks show than MDR so Paradise Cove is a second possibility.

Any other "local" plans ?

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
42 NM to Santa Barbara Island ... wonderful !

We only sailed 4 hours or so all weekend, out of 9 going plus 8 coming back, but it was great. 13 hours on 3.5 gallons of gas, not bad !

We've dived around the island many times, but this was the first time we'd been on the island and it has some really stunning short hikes, scenery, cliffs plus sea lion, elephant seal, seagull and pelican rookeries.

We'll definitely go back, but probably use Paradise Cove or Cat Harbor as an inbetween stopping point since 42 NM uphill (if there is wind) is a very long sail in a 23 footer.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I'm IMPRESSED!

Way to go Sven! I'm IMPRESSED! That's something I have wanted to do for a long time, but quite frankly distance and strong wind forecasts have kept me away. That's quite a haul. Yes I would do a night at Catalina some where so I could break the trip up into a couple of 4 and 5 hour passages. Did you take any photos? How was the anchorage?

Jeff :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

The anchorage was great. Strangely enough, the chart of SBI shows two rocks in the cove, near the mini-island outside the landing, but those two rocks don't exist. We anchored in sand and with a 22 lbs bruce and 15' of chain we were very secure.

We did take a bunch of pictures, but haven't gone through them yet. The one below is just to show where we were relative to the landing, slightly to the right of the mooring.

We also had the company of a whale on the way back s/he came and checked us out before heading back down again. Not sure what kind, but probably 30' long with a small dorsal fin.

-Sven

Attachments

• cove.jpg
    cove.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 84

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Regarding your whale.

Great photo. How deep was your anchorage?

No worries, I am sure I can find that answer on the charts. \

Regarding your whale.

I have only seen three whales in my five years of sailing in Southern California. The first two had to be Orcas, because of the tall dorsal fins, but they appeared to be mostly black. I am originally from Puget Sound, where Orca's are quite common so I am pretty sure of what I saw. They were about a half a mile off Anacapa Island in October of 2001. My other whale sighting was more like what you saw. Only about 20 feet long, all black with a small dorsal fin. It was about a mile south west of Avalon.

http://www.nps.gov/chis/sbipage.htm

Sven

Seglare
Anchor depth was probably 20-30 feet. Since we don't have any instrumentation yet I will mark our rode so I can tell in the future.

The currents were interesting. When the winds died two boats that anchored way to close to us ended up having to move because we were about to bump into each other. With only 5 (?) miles of coastline it made sense to anchor within 50' of each other ... not !

Next time we'll be sure to bring small backpacks or large fanny packs. I hiked around with a fabric shopping bag tied to a loop that I slung across my neck like a backpack harness. Nancy said she was embarrassed to be seen with such an obvious nerd :)

The pics below don't do the whale justice, but then I'm even amazed that it stayed with us long enough for me to dive below and grab the camera in the first place !!

Attachments

• Whale.jpg
    Whale.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 101
  • whale2.jpg
    whale2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 109

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yup, that's the kind I saw!

Yup, that's the kind I saw off Avalon in April of 2004. I believe it was a Minky.

Attachments

• bluewhale.jpg
    bluewhale.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 100
  • FINWHALE.jpg
    FINWHALE.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 103
  • spermwhale.jpg
    spermwhale.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 95
  • HUMPBACK.jpg
    HUMPBACK.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 76
  • minky.jpg
    minky.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 74

Mikebat

Member III
Jeff Asbury said:
I have only seen three whales in my five years of sailing in Southern California.

Wow, I must have been very lucky. In January, when I brought Valinor down from Sausalito to LA, we passed through a pod or several pods of whales, must have been two dozen or more within a half mile of the boat, and dozens more beyond that. A mile or so ahead of us, we could see them breaching. There were so many, I was worried we'd hit one or one of them would hit us. This was along the coast near the Hearst Castle.

That was my first trip on the boat!