• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

spreader length

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I was at my boat the other day with a sailmaker (Santa Cruz Sails). He mentioned that my spreaders looked quite long. Anyone (Seth) know if the E23 Mk1 spreaders were overly long?

Thanks, Mark

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Spreader lengths

Good question. BK designed them that way, and it would be irresponsible to say it is Ok to shorten them...but.....

It has been done by a number of folks, and certainly will allow closer sheeting of the genoas. An inch or 2 is all I would try, but that is NOT a suggestion-get it?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Got it, thanks Seth.
The sailmaker noted that the shroud distance from the mast was actually wider at the spreader than at the chainplates.
E23 owners (mk1 or mk2) if you get a chance please measure your spreaders and let me know what you come up with.
Thanks, Mark

Sven

Seglare
Mark,

Mark F said:
Got it, thanks Seth.
The sailmaker noted that the shroud distance from the mast was actually wider at the spreader than at the chainplates.
E23 owners (mk1 or mk2) if you get a chance please measure your spreaders and let me know what you come up with.
Thanks, Mark

I looked over the pics I have and it sure doesn't look like the stays are spread out beyond vertical on La Petite. I'll check again this weekend but you be the judge ... oops, have to do that again ... the upload allows 800x600 pixels, my picture was 600x800 pixels :)

-Sven

-

Attachments

• spreaders.jpg
    spreaders.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 196

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Spreaders

Either way, it is not unheard of or even uncommon to see spreaders longer than the "vertical" line. The longer they are, the better the angle of support from the shrouds...Instead of pulling "down" against the top of the rig, the shrouds pull "away"', needing less strength and creating less load on the structure.

It comes down to engineering styles and designed purpose to align all of these variables.

The down side is of course wider sheeting angles, and a loss of potential close-windedness.

The :devil: is in the details!

S

Last edited:

P. Fell

The spreaders on our E23-1, #128, are each approximately 25 inches long and are about 1 1/2 inches
O.D. The distance tip to tip, including both spreaders, mast diameter, and end fittings is about 56 inches, and that is the same length between the chain plates on our deck. This makes our shrouds about vertical from the deck to the spreaders. Our mast will be down for a few weeks , so if you need any more info, this is an easy time for me to get it.

Bob in Va

Member III
A thousand words

You can see the boot on the end of the spreader clearly in this shot. I call it "Heading for the High Ground."

Attachments

• SpringRace4.jpg
    SpringRace4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 154

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks P. Fell, I’ll check my rig dimensions against yours. My mast is tabernacled so it is easy to drop and check.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the photos Sven and Bob.
Bob, it looks like you’re leaving that boat behind you in the dust! :)

Bob in Va

Member III
Bikers used to call it ear holin'

Actually, we spent too much time that day washing the windows. We were leading our race until a broach put a spreader tip in the water and generally caused us to get out of shape for a while (skipper foul up of course, no fault of the boat). But at least other folks were frequently able to check the condition of our bottom paint, as you can see...

Attachments

• SpringRace5.jpg
    SpringRace5.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Who else would say this?

Where are the rest of the crew? Unless you are sailing singlehanded, or about to tack, I would expect to see 3-4 people out on the rail-"butts" out as far as they can! :devil:
Your chances of broaching go WAY down with some weight out on the rail!!

Ok-I said it. Now you can embarrass me with a perfectly good reason as to why..Sorry! :rolleyes:

Fair winds,

S

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Seth,

Maybe Bob meant the winds were so light that the crew was on the leeward rail to get some draft in the sails and while they were there they passed time by washing the windows. :)
Also, thanks for the reply on the spreaders. So wider spreaders would put less stress on the cabintop of a deck stepped mast?

Bob in Va

Member III
Positioning the crew

Actually, Steve was below at the time, checking to see if we had any Grey Poupon left. However, in THIS one I was singlehanding, and you can see the separation from the Beneteau 29 (with rail meat) after about 6 nm of racing.

Attachments

• SunTRace1.JPG
    SunTRace1.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
spreaders

Mark,

Well, a longer spreader should reduce the VERTICAL loads on the chainplates to some degree, but not the load at the base of the mast (compression)-again, at the price of close-windedness.

BTW-SUPER nice shot of the E-23!!!
cheers,
S