Battery Monitors

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone have recommendations for these? I am a big fan of Xantrex stuff and an bidding on a link 10 on Ebay now but I know they are not making it any more and they now have a unit called the XBM. I dont have an inverter but was still considering the Link 1000 or 2000 units. I dont really need to monitor my starting battery and my house batteries are parralled into one bank. I like that they can give info in amp hours as opposed to a simple voltmeter. These units can be pricey though. So what is everyone using if anything and what have they found works well?

Thanks as always,

Ted Reshetiloff
E 38-200 Sovereign Nation

mark reed

Member III
Link 2000

I've got a Link 2000 which was installed by the PO. Works great. I like being able to monitor amp-hours, and I use the inverter much more than I thought I would.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
What brand/size inverter do you use? Is it a zantrex unit? I wondered if you could use a non zantrex model with the Link 2000 monitor.

mark reed

Member III
I've got a Heart Freedom 10 inverter/charger. Not sure what model is equivalent now that Heart has become Xantrex.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
IIRC the Link 2000 also serves as a controller for the inverter correct? Do you find the Link 2000 very usefull in its relationship with the inverter or is it just a nice extra? I guess what I am getting at is that I may add an inverter down the road and wonder if it makes sense to spend the coin now for the Link 2000 or not? What exactly does the link 2000 do for the inverter?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I installed the Link 20 which is great (although you can drive yourself crazy trying to set it so that it accurately tells you how many amp hours you have left). Now I use it only to read voltage and amps in/out. Once you install one of these units, you quickly find out how crappy the OEM setup is and end up spending more money on overhauling the alternator and regulator. Also, Link, now Xantrex, makes you buy a minimum of 25 feet of the harness when all you need is a couple of feet. I think you can buy it by the foot at www.jrenergy.com.

rssailor

Ted,
Link 10 would work fine for monitoring the house as far as voltage and amps. A link 1000 or 2000 gives you the ability to control any freedom inverter unit as far as telling it to charge the batteries or turning the invert function on or off. The inverter control/battery monitors give you the best of both worlds. Blue Seas makes a very nice unit that will give you both a digital voltmeter and amp meter all in one unit as well. Good luck. Ryan Ericson 25+ Moonglow

valentor

Member II
Ted;

Your system (if I recall correctly) is very similar to mine. I used a Link 10 to monitor the two parallel 105 AH AGM batteries and it has been working flawlessly for years. The only monitoring I bother with for the starting battery is a permenently installed analog voltage meter. As long as the un-loaded average is more than 12.5 volts, it seems to just keep working - year after year. This starting battery was installed in 1998 and still started the Atomic4 on the first cranks this Spring.

For AC power, I added a Xantrex 1000 Watt Inverter. It draws it's power directly from the house bank (through a 100A breaker with #2 wires). Even with a 210 AH battery bank, we run the engine for big loads (like power tools or the 750 W microwave).

The biggest advantage of the Freedom Inverters is that they function as inverster AND as chargers. These units were very expensive a few years ago, but now the 10 and 15 Amp units seem reasonable.

I can highly recommend the Link-10. Also, I had no difficulty setting it up the first time - just followed the instructions and it did everything it was supposed to do.

Fair winds and calm seas;

Steve

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fitting the AH meter into the panel...

I am finally (!) getting closer to installing my amp hour meter and have a question about just where to stick it...
:p

My 1988 factory panel has two analog meters now, a volt meter with a switch for reading battery bank 1 or 2, and it also has an amp meter.
It looks like I could just replace one of these old analog meter faces with the new round-face amp hour guage.
But, which one would you all consider most expendable?
:confused:
The present amp meter seems to be measuring a small shunt mounted on the back of the switch bus on the panel, since it responds to various 12 volt loads.

What have you other electrical wizards done to your Ericsons and Olsons??

I could bore a new hole in the lovely teak face of the cabinet, but am a wee bit reluctant to do this...
:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the help,

Loren in PDX
1988 Olson 34 Fresh Air

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Dump The Amp Meter

Your new one has that function too, so why keep the old one?

No reason to have two that do the same thing.

The Volt meter is always the analog old fashioned fall back for the electrical system. Keep it as a backup, and get rid of the analog amp meter, they are pretty useless anyway.

Guy
:)

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have a different boat, but I installed my Link 20 on the fiberglass just below the 12 volt panel at the nav station (probably about where your head was on your recent trip).

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Finally installed my Link 10 this weekend. I mounted it underneath the chart table where there was an old battery switch I had removed. I agree with the above post though, I would ditch the factory amp meter and keep the volt meter. Volt meter is a good standby as mentioned above. The amp meter will tell you how much you are consuming but not how much you have left...

TMB

Batery Monitor

It appears you have already made your choice. The best battery monitor I have seen is made by Ample Power. They have a website you can check out. Ample Power was recommended to me by the only ABYC Certified Electrician in Northern California.

Just FYI.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
TMB said:
Ample Power was recommended to me by the only ABYC Certified Electrician in Northern California.

I just looked and there are about 50 ABYC certified marine electricians in California.:oops:

I have always liked my Link 10.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
New AmpHour meter in!

After a few days of futzing around with wire routing...
the actual installation proved to be easy. I did have to resort to reading the instructions, though. FWIW, I have the instruction booklet, which is in rather small print, saved as a PDF. I enlarged the "install" pages and printed them out full size with their drawings; this was a great help.
Someday we need to replace the old factory cabling to the house panel and do some re-routing... but for now I added an 18" segment from the common ground point on one "ear" of the bell housing to the new shunt and thence the existing wire goes back to the panel. The pair of 2 amp in-line fuses are about a foot from the pos. battery terminal rather than the 7" the installation instructions want, but some compromises just seem inevitable in dealing with the physical limits of boat stuff...
:rolleyes:
I used the factory-suggested twisted wire bundle and realize that it is over-priced and contains a few un-needed wires... but I had a rebate check from We$t Marine to use up at the time... :nerd:
(If doing it over from scratch, I would probably get out the drill and "roll my own" twisted pair and save a few bucks.)

Within the limits of eye ball comparison with the factory analog volt meter, the two readouts are very very close. Ditto with the little needle on the former amp guage. The existing volt meter with its double-throw switch still works as before, FWIW.

So far, with "calibration" only to change the amp hours from the default 200 to the approx 240 in our particular house bank of batteries, it is in a sort of personal test mode -- i.e. I shut off the battery charger circuit on Sunday afternoon and am watching to see how many AH the refer will draw it down over this week. As of yesterday, and about 24 hours, it showed 44.x AH of drawdown.
If anyone is interested, the little Frigoboat unit shows about 3.8 to 4.0 amps draw when compressor is running. Refer wise, so far so good.

We also want to be sure our 4+ year old house bank (pair of of T-145's) is in good shape to take off for a week or two.
Vacation departure coming up soon...

Picture of the new installation with the displaced amp guage on the nav table, is attached.

Cheers and cold beers,

Loren

Attachments

• new AH meter installed.jpg
    new AH meter installed.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:

Shadowfax

Member III
Nice install! Wish I had thought of that location. When the Link reads the AH the defult setting is I think something like use in 4 mins. Change that setting to something much longer to get a good feel for what you are really burning.

I love my Link 10 and owe it all to Tom Metzger who explained its virtues to me years ago.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Shadow fax said:
I love my Link 10 and owe it all to Tom Metzger who explained its virtues to me years ago.

Paul - Cool it! ;) People are starting to talk about us.

The time setting is for integrating (averaging) the amount of time left at the present discharge rate. I prefer the short time for two reasons. First, the time left is dependent on the amp hours the battery is down, not the current usage, and second is that I want a quick indication that the battery is charging. I could very easily do without this reading as it adds little real information.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Very nice work! Looks factory.

Now if we could just get Xantrex to make the Link 2000 control another inverter than the Freedom series they would have a customer. If I go the inverter route I want pure sine wave. If the bucks are spent why compromise, eh?
RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Incomplete AH Meter install...

Sigh...
Sometimes I feel like one of the less-educated followers of Ned Ludd. But, first the good news : our house battery bank appears to be in good condition. (Two Trojan T-145's, about 4 years old.)
Having run the boat on that bank (no shore power charger) since Sunday afternoon until noon today, Thursday, to power the refrigeration and some incidental use of lights, fans and the water pump while purging the 38 gallon tank, I started the cold diesel M25XP with no drama at all, off that same battery bank.
The new meter was showing about 12.25 volts today, and we started out this little draw-down exercise at about 12.8. A friend did observe that it went down to about 11.8 when I used the glow plugs for 10 seconds and further dropped to 10.8 for a split second when the starter turned over. The starter turned briskly, FWIW.
The cockpit instrument panel immediately show almost an even 60 amp charge on the analog meter, which is max for the stock Moto alternator.
Now the other news: no amps were showing on the AH meter going back in. :confused:

Since my friend has the same meter on his similar engine in his Ericson, he asked me some simple questions about my install.:rolleyes:
(He did not call me an idiot, but there was a sort of "look" in his eyes...)

Like, was any other cable going to the neg. side of that battery? Hmmm. I could see, after a bit of dialog, where Big dummy Me had done an incomplete installation!

I write of my short-sighted-ness only because a lot of you have the same engine and basic wiring layout in your 80's-era Ericsons and Olsons, and you should avoid the tunnel-vision problem that led me astray.
The factory 1-2-All switch has both red #1 cables from the "house" and "start" batteries. They never called them that when the boat was built, though. The equally-large neg. (black) cables from both batteries go to a 5/16 bolt on the port side of the bell housing, beside the motor mount bolt. That common ground point also has the #4 black cable coming from the "house" DC distribution panel.
Where I went wrong was in focusing only on the House distribution panel power usage and not realizing that the so-called house battery bank was not isolated to only the new shunt I was installing.

Mea Culpa. What I did was add a short piece of #4 black from the common ground bolt to the shunt, which was mounted nearby in the engine compartment, and from the shunt the existing #4 black cable goes over to the house distribution panel. It works great for measuring volts and amps for that panel, but cannot (as is obvious now even to me) read what goes into the battery in the form of charging.
:nerd:

Vacation starts very soon and adding the shunt poses no harm that I can see, but I do need to change the DC neg. to show everything going/entering that "house" battery bank. The AH calculation cannot work the way it is now -- the AH reduction just keeps going.

And that leads to a question: If/when I do that, will the stock #4 cable to and from the panel carry the glow plug and starter amperage OK when this "house" bank is used for emergency starting??
(With the stock factory system, the cable runs for the starter motor are short and are all big fat #1 cable.)

This should have occured to me during the wiring install, but I was focused on the house panel and did not see the now-obvious charging by-pass I allowed.

"Two steps forward, one back."

Too much technology for me...
It must be time to go out and take a whack at a knitting machine! :devil:

Loren

Last edited: