• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 inboard to and outboard???

DILL

I have an E27 and am pulling out the a4 and am going to a outboard. I am wondering if anyone here has cut out the transom like the factory boats? I will probably go to a mount on the back but am searching all posibilitys first.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen a couple of E-27's with the factory cutout. One was open all the way to the top and other was intact across about two inches of the top section. Since this is a major winter fiberglass project either way...
I would earnestly advise trying to use the transom cutout idea because it puts the prop closer to the boat and greatly reduces the chance of cavitation when the boat hobbyhorses in a chop.
You would need to do some well-designed reinforcing of the transom no matter how you do this. Considering the weight of the boat, I vote for a high thrust Yamaha 10 hp with the 3-to-1 gear reduction gear.
How about Plan B? There must be a good one cylinder diesel out there that would fit in, with acres of room to spare, where the A4 used to live. A two cylinder would be even better, if you do a lot of motoring...
Ya think?

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

rssailor

Outboard 27

If you are going to go to an outboard, get a high thrust version of the Yamaha 9.9 and a 25" shaft. If you are going to cut out the transom, beware that this is a MAJOR glass job and you will need to be very careful. I would recomend bolting a Garalick or Fulton heavy duty bracket to the transom instead and install a heafty backing plate in the inside of the transom where you bolt on the motor bracket. Make sure you allow enough distance from where the motor sits on the bracket to the transom to allow you to tilt the motor up when the bracket is in the full up position. You may have to make a spacer to push the bracket away from the transom to do this. I will post a pic of my motor and bracket later. Ryan Ericson 25+ Moonglow

gjersvik

Member II
Ryan:

I would like to see photos and a write up when you complete the project. I converted my 15 hp outboard to a 25" this past winter and removed the outboard bracket. Now I can make some sternway but it is still a challange. I personally would like to know how the boat performs with the bracket in place. One advantage of the cut out is accessability of the outboard controls.

Emerald

I just have to ask one question, why? The happiest day on my E-27 was restoring the A4 and getting the blasted outboard off the transom (who really needs 80+ pounds hanging on their transom?). My E-27 was originally A4 powered, someone had pulled it and hung an outboard on her, and it well, sucked. Get yourself into some rough weather with the outboard's prop pulling out of the water, and you'll want the inboard. Try motoring for long periods dead into 25 knots of wind, you'll want the A4, and on I could go. As far as sailing characteristics, the A4 isn't that heavy, and it is way down low compared to an outboard way up high. I never felt like I lost any sailing quality for my A4 restoration. And the security and peace of mind of having a powerful engine down low when needed, a key turn away with wife and kids is quite nice. Also, ever try to service an outboard leaning over the transom bouncing up and down - especially out in the middle of a big piece of water? I also wouldn't go gutting the transom apart. I would be very concerned about structural issues. Of course, you can completely ignore me, and I know the E-27 was sold with outboards, but I've lived with both, and wouldn't have anything but an inboard in her. Just my .02, and worth what you paid. Also, no one needs to waste their time telling me I am wrong. I have my opinion based on my personal needs and experience, and I'm stubborn on a good day :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

edit 6/8/05:
just wanted to add that I don't mean to come off as ranting above, and I am fully aware that if you are racing, playing the rating game etc., there may be reasons why you want the outboard instead. Part of my emphaticness (real word?) and then following comments about no need to write back regarding my opinions, is that I know we could set off a whole debate on the issue without any real benefit. I just wanted to provide some honest to life experiences having had the same boat configured both ways.

In any event, happy sailing :D

Last edited:

DILL

Emerald said:
I just have to ask one question, why? ............. and I'm stubborn on a good day :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

In any event, happy sailing :D

Because I want too. Stubborn, you say that like its a bad thing :egrin:

I am going to install a Beta 13hp diesel in a year or 2, but I want to use the boat NOW, I agree fully with the security of having a powerful inboard during foul weather, I've been there like alot of us . I have a Yamaha O/B and a bracket to match. I was just wondering if anyone had done it(cut away the transom), and thinking(dreaming) that after I reinstalled the inboard I could have a nice walkthrough transom. I understand the MAJOR glass work to maintain the strucural inegrity of the transom when doing something like this.
Thanks to everyone who replyed...

Last edited: