• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

opening windows ericson 38 1980

e38 owner

Member III
Has anyone resealed the opening port windows on an ericson 38. Ours has the older style before ericson went to Lewmar. Any thoughts. They leak when it rains

dwigle

Member III
reseal what?

Are you talking about the opening port to frame or the frame to cabin? For the frame to cabin, remove and reseal with an appropriate sealant (4200?). If you are talking about opening port to frame, the PO of our boat resealed the Bomar ports with bulk weatherstripping he apparently ordered from West Marine. If this is what you need I'll see if there is a part number in the package with the remnant this weekend.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Ours need done too

We need to re-seat all our hatches (done a couple) and our portlights (leaking pretty badly now...) Ahh the joys of 4200...
Chris

dwigle

Member III
part number

I found my weatherstripping remnant. Bomar part # P100-51 from Bomar, DIV of Pomoanette, Southwest St., Charlestown, NH 03603

Don

Andy Rogers

Member II
If you have a Bomar portlight, you can call them and they'll determine which is the correct gasket to order. I just ordered today from Sailnet at 1.95/ft.

http://www.pompanette.com/bomar

It is important to determine if you have cast, plastic, or forged portlights. Different portlights call for different gaskets. I sent them pictures of mine and they were able to determine I had old cast aluminum portlights on my 1984 E-38. These use part number P100-52. (http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=19937)

Andy

PS: I've just realized that I've only *ORDERED* this and not actually *INSTALLED* it yet, so I hope my research is correct.

Attachments

• DSCF0581.jpg
    DSCF0581.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Atkins & Hoyle Ports? - NO!

I wonder if you have the Atkins & Hoyle ports. My salon and bow hatches are Atkins & Hoyle - I found a tag on one of them. The company is still out there and supports their old gear. They sell gaskets and other spares. I got a prompt reply when I was looking for advice and parts for the overhead hatches. Here's their website and a picture of my openable port.

**** I wish the pics were better on the Pompanette website. On the inside mine look like the Pompanette Cast Series 200 rectangular. The hinges (no springs) and knobs are much closer to those than the A&H. ****

http://www.atkinshoyle.com/model505.html

Cheers,

Attachments

• OpenablePort-zoom-reduced.jpg
    OpenablePort-zoom-reduced.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
BOMAR - Look at the knobs

e38owner,

I took a close look at another picture I had (see the picture) and they have BOMAR embossed on them. Talk about hiding in plain sight.

Attachments

• Bomar_Knob-enhanced.jpg
    Bomar_Knob-enhanced.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 335

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Andy Rogers,
Did you ever get the new portlight gaskets installed? I am under contract on my "new" '83 E38 and the portlight gaskets are all compressed from age and not sealing well. They are identical to the Bomar portlights you posted. Is there another source than Sailnet? Thanks, RT

stbdtack

Member III
bomar gaskets

The larger West marines usually have the Bomar gasket material on the shelf. Its the one with the orange "peel off" strip.