• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Water leak from mast step.

tom_Heidema

I have a 75 e27 with a substantional water leak coming from a hole the previous owner drilled in the mast step. The whole is used for the electrical that runs up the mast. The water has rotted away a section of the plywood that is the wall of the head. Also with a VERY small amout of rot is the mast post.

I am looking to repair this for the last time, I am planning on cutting out the bad plywood and replacing it with new, but I have to stop the leak before I replace the wood.

Has anybody had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

Tom :esad:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Use a hole saw to cut a hole through the mast step large enough for a piece of pvc pipe to fit around the wires. Cut the pipe so it extends a couple of inches above the deck - high enough so that water sitting in the bottom of the mast will go out the drains instead of over the top of the pipe. Epoxy the pipe in place.
It worked for me, if I ever get my digital camera to connect to my new computer, I will post pictures.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

hcpookie

Member III
My mast is leaking water even after the standpipe installation. VERY slowly. I noticed this only when the bathroom door became difficult to close after the last rain storm... after several days of constant rain. Careful inspection made me realize the wood mast support was moist to the point that it swelled, causing the door frame to get sticky. I'll keep an eye out after every storm until I can more accurately assess the influx rate.

I think the joint at the base of the mast *could* be seeping water. That appears to be a rigid caulking material (5200 perhaps?) and it seems that it just may not be working 100%. The slow rate of water ingress would seem to support this theory - no?

Is there an easy way to track water ingress? It seems real difficult to identify the exact source of the water - whether the standpipe is leaking, or the drain holes aren't draining as fast, or ______ ?

- Jerry