• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shroud rollers

Art Mullinax

Member III
When sailing on the lake we appreciate any wind we can get. I noticed on days with little or no wind, tacking was a hassle due to the jib catching on the shrouds. I have the turnbuckle covers to prevent snags and the small split tubing over the wires. Something had to be done. I took 6 foot lengths of 1" PVC pipe with end caps. I chucked the end caps in my lathe and cut a 7/16 hole in each to allow the threaded part of the shroud to slide through. I removed 1 shroud at a time and installed a length of pipe with the caps on each end then, re-tensioned each shroud. I did this on the 2 front and 2 middle shrouds. These pipes rest on the turnbuckle cover. Now when I tack, the jib rolls over the shroud as slick as boiled okra...
Art M.
E29/#53

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We want to see

the photos, please. Sounds great, but a little hard to viz.

I'm thinking about leaving off the leather spreader tip covers after I get done seizing the spreaders to the wires. Looking for ideas for tip treatment.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Don't have a camera

Sorry but I don't have a dig. camera yet.
I chucked the end caps in the lathe but a drill motor will accomplish the same. The hole is in the center on the end. I attached the end caps (2 per length of pipe) with PVC glue. I disconnected each shroud and put it through the pipe, then re-tensioned the shroud. It looks like a conveyor roller on the shroud. You can spin the PVC pipe like a roller. It's sitting on top of the PVC turnbuckle cover. When tacking or gybing, the jib and sheets come in contact with pipe and it (PVC pipe) rolls over the shroud. I hope this explains better...
Art M.
E29/Issaqueena