• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

open up head on E25??

briangsmith

Member II
is there any reason, structurally or otherwise..
why i can't take off a door, non-structural(?)
piece of forward panel wall.. remove that nasty
old 'throne' and make a more liveable fore area
in my new (ok '78) E25/CB?? (porta-pottie for
toilet)

and while we're at it- opening portholes anyone?
source??

thnx,

brian smith
homer, alaska

gjersvik

Member II
Brian:

On Hull number 81 the head wall is also the bulkhead where the chainplate comes through the deck and is bolted to it. This wall also forms one side of the boxed compression post supporting the load of the rigging and transferring it to the keel. The swing keel block and tackle are located in the compression post. This said, there is an upward force on one side of the bulkhead and a downward force on the the other end which does make it a structural member. :esad:

Steve Swann

Member III
Maintaining Structural Integrity is Paramount

I too, have an E25 (1977) and removing this bulkhead you describe - or even the one separating the head from the forward berth would be a critical structural design change. I definitely would not advise doing either. Removing the swinging privacy door itself should pose no problem. Ours came with a cloth privacy curtain and no evidence of ever having the door, so I might assume that Ericson did not view it as structural either. I don't think the door itself contributes to the structural integrity of the boat, but I could be wrong - I'm not a boatbuilder.

I am 6'3" and really don't have too much of a problem using the head space. We have a flusher with holding tank and there is enough room to do the requisite maneuverings. We shortened up our main cabin table and added leaf extensions to both the main cabin berths. It is pretty liveable for 2 people without knocking out walls.

We have plastic opening ports with screens that were installed by the previous owners avove the head area and above the small port-side vanity - both in line with the main cabin ports. They are nice to have for some obvious reasons. WEST Marine will have your opening ports, but I would not make them oversized because of structural considerations (here we go again!). Make sure you use the correct bedding compound.

Steve

This is what I did to my E25. I removed the bulkhead between the v-berth and the head leaving just a little bit of the bulkhead between the two fiberglass flanges. This acts as a spacer and may (I'm not an engineer) add strenght. I didn't remove the head but did add a folding seat that extends the v-bearth all the way to the main bulkhead(I'm 6'5" and need all the length I can get). I then cut the door to fit between the compression post and opposite side, my wifes idea. I did this years ago and have had no problems with structural integrity but then again I have not put our boat through any sever conditions.

Fair wind and full sails,
Chad