• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Packing - E32-2 rudder post packing

John Bouchard

Member II
I have been following threads on this subject for a while, as the packing/connection at the top of my E-32-2 (1971) was leaking last season, and I want to stop the leak!

The snow has finally cleared, and so I started to tackle the problem. Regarding the steering system and attachments to the rudder post - I was surprised how easy it was to loosen the cables, remove the bolt through the quadrant and post, and then slide the quadrant up the post. I tied it to hold it up out of the way.

The top plate that "houses" the packing material was easily removed as well, even though evidently it was tightened down as far as it could be... Here is where I have questions! If anyone has a 1971 (my hull is #199) vintage E-32, and has fixed a leaky packing - please respond! Jorge did respond, but I wanted to reach a larger audience! In addition, I'm pretty sure I don't have any cracks or other problems with the rudder tube.

Contrary to what I've seen elsewhere the cover "plate" is held in place by four small bolts, not three, and the packing was only one piece -( 3/8 inch?). The "groove" in the plate seems to be 5/16" wide and 1/4 inch deep. I estimate this by measuring the now square packing.

Other information (dated 11/81!) on this site indicates three overlaid pieces of packing. Is my situation something that was changed by the previous owner, should I use three pieces (although it would have to be much thinner material), or has anyone else used just one piece?

Once the boat goes back in the water.... that's it until the end of the seaso, so I want to make this right as possible!

John B.

Brisdon

Inactive Member
This discribes better what I was trying to say about the packing gland on my E35-2. Same configuration exactly. I'll find out if the thing I did works when I take it out, but yeah, there is no place for three rows of packing without a little modifying. I won't recopy my original post because you can search it under "rudder packing". Curious how your repacking went?

Last edited:

John Bouchard

Member II
Re-packing - E32

The re-packing job went well. I didn't get a single response to this post though... 'til yours today!

I used a single strand of 7/16 or 3/8 inch packing rope (I think it was 3/8), and cut the mating edges at about a 45 degree angle. The packing was stuffed into the channel, and then I closed down on the top plate with the four small bolts. I tightened it fairly well, and tested the wheel... it was a bit stiff to turn... but I left it there, expecting it to loosen up a bit over time - which it did.

I know that there is a little play left if I find that I need to tighten it down a bit in the future.

I haven't noticed any dripping or puddles in the bilge since, so I guess I fixed it!

John Bouchard

Member II
E32 - Rudder Post

Hi Chris, and all...

Ironically, I just sold our Ericson 32 a few weeks ago - to a group of three college students in Maine. I will be sending them information regarding this great site!

I remember changing out the rudder post packing several years ago. Do you have specific questions?

I remember removing the steering quadrants to get better access back there... and at the same time checked the cables and reset the quadrants and cable tension after completing the rudder post packing effort. From there the removal and replacement of the packing was pretty straightforward. I had the Ericson 32 spec sheets in hand to guide me a little.

I do remember that a very thin box wrench would help... the heads of the bolts are very close to the shaft/packing housing and it took a long time to remove and re-tighten the bolts because the open end wrench could only turn about a quarter turn before hitting the side and I'd have to reset the wrench again...

Once I replaced the packing... there were no leaks thereafter. I also had installed a dripless packing on the propeller drive shaft, and since then the bilge remained mostly dry!

Let me know if I can help further, and I'll respond in kind!

We purchased a 1993 Catalina 36 last November, and enjoyed our first season on the "Ocean Potion." This will be our last boat, I'm now semi retired, and at the moment I can't see needing a bigger/newer boat... but famous last words, I guess!

Smooth Sailin' to you, John B.