• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E381 Alternator

Geoff Nelson

Member II
The alternator on my '82 381 (Universal 5432) recently crapped out 20 miles offshore and I dropped in my spare in 4 mins flat- no problem (glad I had one).

So I took the bad one (it has no markings, manuf info, serial # or markings of any kind on it) to West Marine and they said that with no markings on it they could not help and to go to the local marine supply shop. After doing some research, they said that they did not make these anymore, but I can get a rebuilt one for over $400 or I could get this one rebuilt (had to be shipped somewhere) for like $280. Ouch!

So I talked to a powerboat buddy of mine and he suggested taking it to Broadway Auto Electric here in SD (~20 miles inland). The guy there looked at it, said "no problem- be ready tomorrow morning- cost 'bout 75 bucks." I said "Huh???? What's the deal?"

He said it was a standard Delco alternator (like one of 50 on the rack behind him) with a slightly different size mounting bracket (I honestly couldn't even see the difference and that it was 'self exciting' versus the auto model which had a wire and plug that went to it. Oh yeah- and the car model didn't have a pin for the tach. He also said in a pinch, you can take the standard auto model, short the 'exciting' plug on the bottom of the auto model and use it just fine in place of the marine version if you can get it mounted.

So- has anyone had any experience with this? Is the auto guy clueless about "marine" alternators, or is the marine shop a bigger rip-off than most things "marine" are?

Thanks,

Geoff

escapade

Inactive Member
alternators or things that make sparks

The main difference between automotive/industrial and marine electrical componets is that the marine versions are "spark protected" which is to say that they have shielding so they don't start a fire. This is especially important on gasoline powered vessels. Otherwise their basic function is the same and many parts are interchangeable. I wouldn't just use an old car alternator though because of the lack of spark protection. As long as they rebuild your old alternator, starter, etc. you should be all set. Bearings are bearings, brushes brushes, diodes diodes, parts are parts!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 Escapade