• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to get the large logo for the sail cover

sailingdeacon

Member III
I have a jpeg file of the logo. Would like to get an iron on or the equivalent to place on the sail cover. I can print at a max of a page size which is small. What sort of commercial graphics are needed? Would a paint-on mask work? See jpeg attached

Attachments

• ericson-helmet-logo-white.jpg
    ericson-helmet-logo-white.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 376

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Screen printing?

I would think that an iron transfer wouldn't hold up very well in the weather. Check with the local high school or tech college and see if they have a screen printing class, maybe a local student would like a few extra bucks to work on it after class.
Or check with some of the smaller screen printing shops in town and see if they could hook you up. If you had some printed on sheets of light canvas, I bet some folks here would help defray the overall cost by purchasing some of them from you or the printer, then having them sewn on their covers. Just a thought.
Chris

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
The ones I've seen were sewn on...

I would take it to a canvas shop (or sail loft) - have them cut it out in the proper scale and sew it to your cover - using the same or similar material as your cover; the main consideration being the likelyhood of a screened-on print holding up to the elements (think of the sun) - degrading and leaving a half-on, half-off splotch of sorts...

My $0.02... :D

//sse

rgoff

Member III
I bought a new mainsail w/o the Ericson insignia and cut out the logo from self-adhesive material from Sailrite. Worked great. I asked if I could use the same material for a sail cover logo and they said "No". Won't stick to the sail cover fabric.

BTW, you can get a "scalable" logo file from this website (that's what I used). Take it to Kinko's, etc. and have them print it to whatever size you want. Look for it at:
Specs & Documents/Documents Index/General Ericson Documents/Logo - Ericson Helment

It's an EPS type file that can be enlarged w/o distorting the shape.

I want to put the logo on my mainsail cover, also . Let us know how you did yours and how it turned out.

Gord Bell

Member II
I added the logo to my sail cover this winter and it was very easy to do. all I did was copy it to a contrasting color of the sail cover, in my case white, cut it out and then sewed it to the sail cover. total time to do it was about 1.5 hours and very easy to do with just your average home sewing machine.
cheers Gord
sv Huuckleberry

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 337

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Getting the scale is not hard - just take a high resolution TIFF file and print it out on a plotter or other large media (as mentioned Kinko's can do this for you - or I could on our plotter if you were in Seattle) - and transfer to your fabric of choice.

If it were mine, I think I would go with a two layer - a background of contrasting color, and then the logo on top of that - so it's really set off from the cover. There are lots of great fabrics that will go well with the cover...

Just for grins, I wonder what a sail person or canvas person would charge for it... :confused:

Also - keep in mind that I can send you whatever graphics you need, etc... Just let me know... :egrin:

//sse

sailingdeacon

Member III
I downloaded the logo and sent it to a screen printer who said no problem at all. I think I will go that way. Quick and easy. About $30 +/- He said washing was the prime degradation. I am guessing at abouit 10"-12" high for a E34/35 mainsail cover??

sailingdeacon

Member III
The project is complete. A sailmaker wanted $90. A screen printer wanted $35 but suggested a glued-on type for $21 for both sides. It looks great and he says the new materials will stay on for a long time, plus it could be easily redone. I made it 11" high. I should have done this long ago!