bilge pumps...35 MKII

Masallah 04

Member II
My bilge pump is likely seeing it's last days and I'm likely going to replace it soon. While at it, I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to install a second independent pump, and/or an engine driven pump. The bilge area is rather limited. The current pump is mounted below my sink in the galley. Appreciate any thoughts...
thanks
Alan
Masallah

admirals barge

Member III
bilge pumps

hi masallah
i have a 74 35 II. my bilge pump is a sea puppy mounted above and aft of the port forward cockpit drain. the hose 1/2" hose runs to the lowest part of the bilge and has a strainer attached to the end. i recently installed a float switch between the engine flange and the shaft log. it didn't have a switch when i bought the boat in december. i intend to install another pump next to the original and run its hose into the bilge and end just at the same height as the shaft log. i am going to install a float switch for that pump as well. i have a bilge alarm that i haven't installed as yet. with the switch on the power panel i can manually turn either or both of the pumps on if required. the bilge alarm is cheap insurance. mount it so it can be heard by passers by.

my 2 cents
happy boating
greg