• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chimney cover?

boatboy

Inactive Member
Have any of you with Dickinson propane or diesel heaters came up with a good solution for a watertight chimney cover while sailing. The basic chimney design is fine for keeping rain or spray out, but pretty lousy when you've got waves coming on the deck. It would be nice if such a cover could also help prevent the snagging of jib sheets. I'm trying to avoid the expense of having something custom machined.

Any thoughts?

Greg Davids s/v Pacifica
E 39-B Berkeley, CA

rob m

i was able to buy a ss cap for the chimney from the supplier of my chimney parts, it was a special order but was cheap enough as i recall. I took off the normal venting cap and replaced it with the flat cap when sailing (better as well because the jib sheets stopped trying to toss the $$$$ venting cap overboard on each tack). If you can't find that, then a pvc or abs fitting may slip on/in the open chimney.

Glyn Judson

Chimney Cover

Rob, This came up with an owner on the E31 list, Gary Stoop, E31 hull #19 and he resolved it by attaching a plumbing pipe reducer made of black rubber that was the exact size for both bells. It's held in place by means of two supplied stainless steel hose clamps and is absolutely water tight. It's a simple matter of loosening the two hose clamps to easily remove it when you want to use the heater. Contact me back channel at glynjudson@adelphia.net and I'll send you an image of the inatallation. In addidtion I'll contact Gary by phone today to find out exactly what the part is called and where it can most likely be bought. Glyn Judson

boatboy

Inactive Member
Plumbing Pipe Reducer

Hi Glyn,

I sent you an email yesterday, but in case you did not get it, I would definitely like to see the picture. Please email it to greg@windcruiser.net. Any additional info about actual part numbers would be great.

Thanks,
Greg