• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-32 leaking Rudder Post

Chris Haug

Ok...I've read some of the other threads on this problem. Just hauled the old girl and among other things tried to address the rudder post leak. I repacked the stuffing box,checked the play,which was minimal,dropped the rudder, and greased everything. The thing still leaks. Is it the bronze cap ?
Would putting replacement derlon bearings stop it? Help !!!!I Would like a dry Bildge. Who has solved the mystery of the rudder Post ?

Thanks,
Chris Haug
E-32-2
:confused:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Where exactly is the water coming in from? Is it leaking around the stuffing box and if so do you have the right sized packing and have you tightened it up enough? Is the rudder post tube cracked and leaking there? Need more info.

Chris Haug

Thanks Ted...

It seems to leak from below the stuffing box mostly. A little from on top
of the stuffing box also. Under way with rudder movement is where the
water leak becomes visable. I don't think it's the tube. Reading Jorge's
thread makes me wonder though. Any thoughts ? :confused:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I would thoroughly check out the stuffing box. Make sure you have the right sized packing in there and that the stuffing box is set up correctly. The 3 bolts on the stuffing box can be tightened to seal but dont make them too tight. If it is not leaking around the packing than something else is wrong. Perhaps something like a crack in the tube or the stuffing box is not sealed to the tube?

Chris Haug

Thanks,

As soon as I have time I will check into these different issues.
I will keep you posted on what we find. Weather not helping.
At least my rudder isn't stuck on the beach like the Irving Johnson.
Flew over her today..they tried to pull her off but the tow lines snapped.
Real shame ! :boohoo:

JORGE

Member III
I have my rudder home for the holiday. Yep it's being stripped down, then refinished, barrier coated. The "West" system fbg repair booklet, explains some maintenance procedures, and how to inject an epoxy bearing into the rudder post(tube), low down near the exit point.
I don't think it's possible to set a bearing anywhere, except under the rudder head plate(leaking H20) from below. What I'm doing is inserting a PVC coupling ( 3" long) with Teflon grease that allows the shaft ( 2 3/8" o.d.)to go through, (have not installed it yet.) Some PVC couplings have a rubber insert with grooves that could hold grease.

After I removed the rudder, I checked the exit point at the bottom of the rudder post,on my E32-2, there is a wide open seam (#1)at the location where the tube connects with the bottom of the hull. Another open seam (#2)at the top of the tube (just below the stuffing box cover(cap). Great places for H20 to enter. The stuffing box plate( just below the cap) is glassed in, so I'm not removing it. What needs to be done is clean out the seams and then inject a nice epoxy/silica mix. My rudder tube overall looked unbroken. You may wish to search for hairline cracking. Water coming in from elsewhere?

Chris Haug

Thank's Jorge...

Let me know how it turns out. I'm going to give this info to my mechanics.
Need to investigate more, and look at these areas.

Chris Haug
E32-2
#214 :cheers:

John Bouchard

Member II
Leaky rudder tube packing

I have been following threads on this subject for a while, as the packing/connection at the top of my E-32-2 (1971) was leaking last season, and I want to stop the leak!

The snow has finally cleared, and so I started to tackle the problem. I was surprised how easy it was to loosen the cables, remove the bolt through the quadrant and post, and then slide the quadrant up the post. I tied it to hold it up out of the way.

The top plate that "houses" the packing material was easily removed as well, even though evidently it was tightened down as far as it could be... Here is where I have questions! If anyone has a 1971 (my hull is #199) vintage E-32, and has fixed a leaky packing - please respond!

Contrary to what I've seen elsewhere (in this thread?), the top plate on hull #199 is held in place by four small bolts, not three, and the packing was only one piece -( 3/8 inch). The "groove" in the plate seems to be 5/16" wide and 1/4 inch deep. I estimate this by measuring the now square packing.

Other information (dated 11/81 !) on this site indicates three overlaid pieces of packing. Is my situation something that was changed by the previous owner, should I use three pieces (although it would have to be much thinner material), or has anyone else used just one piece?

Once the boat goes back in the water.... that's it until the end of the seaso, so I want to make this right as possible!

John B.

JORGE

Member III
The stuffing box cover is held in with 4 bolts on my E 32 (1971), I believe the teflon packing used was 5/16" square (semi-solid), I don't think that 3/8" fits. I used lots of teflon grease. The area just below the stuffing box cover is a plate type bearing with matching 4 bolt holes, but just under it I have a split in the rudder tube ( great place for water to enter). Without removing the embeded plate I will attempt ot seal the crevice , and another at the bottom where the shaft exits the hull. (My rudder is out right now, so is the fuel tank.) The Westsystem fiberglass booklet has a chapter explaining the details about injecting an epoxy bearing seal at the bottom, (this should help keep out water). I suppose the crevice will need to be flushed with acetone and cleaned well. Some kind of silicone could probably be used under the stuffing box cover to help in sealing.

John Bouchard

Member II
Thanks, Jorge. Do you recall if the packing that you removed was three pieces or one? I think the original packing may have started out as 3/8 inch. Once the packing cover is tightened all the way down, the resulting "square" is 5/16, which is only 1/16 inch difference!. I'm going to start a new thread, just to be sure all those out there will see it, and maybe someone will remember this packing question!

John B.