• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CNG to Propane stove conversion parts

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone know where to get these? I have an 89 E 38-200. I don't recall right now the stove manufacturer, I'll look tonight. I was hoping to not have to replace the whole stove. I know I will need some valves for the stove, a tank, boat already has the locker, new lines, and a solenoid. What else?

Thanks,

u079721

Contributing Partner
Used to know

Sorry Ted, I used to have all that info, but I let it go with the boat. It was always on the bottom of my to do list to switch from CNG to propane, but once I found an easy way to refill my CNG tanks I sort of lost interest. I was also reluctant to store propane in the propane locker, since I found it to be an incredibly convenience place to store the dinghy gas!

[Off topic rant. Every boat sould have a dedicated place to store the dinghy, dinghy gas, and the liferaft!]

All I would add to your list is, of course, a propane gas sniffer. As for installing the solenoid, there should already be a set of wires running from the electrical panel to just outside the propane locker. The only stove specific items you need from the manufacturer are the smaller jets for the burners and oven to switch from CNG to propane (which burns hotter).

By the way, refilling those CNG tanks was perhaps my most dreaded boating task each year. I had an adaptor that allowed me to drive about an hour south to Flint Michigan where there was a CNG filling station that I could use. It only cost about $1 each to fill the tanks, by the way. Coming back up the freeway I was always scared to death of getting into an accident with those two now-full tanks of methane in the back. I mean the things didn't even have caps for them!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks I am still trying to find a place in theh Annapolis area that will fill the tank I have now. I only have 1 and would love a second but dont think I want to spend much since I want to convert soon.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Check Big Jabin's...

Hey Ted...
We have that same stove, and we got our tank refilled at a place in Bert Jabins Yacht yard. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember going all over Annapolis looking (we used to live there). I'm sure if you called over there somebody could tell you. I actually prefer the CNG- I feel safer with it.
Chris

lbertran

Member III
CNG Refill In Annapolis

I recently bought an E35-3 with CNG tank. I found that one can exchange an empty tank for a full one at Back Creek Cafe which is located at Bert Jabin's. I don't recall what the cost is.

Laura Bertran

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks. Thats actually very convenient since the boat is currently at jabins and they also sell beer at that store. I never thought to ask them for more...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Been searching high and low on the web and so far no luck. I saw something on a Sabre yachts list about a Kevin Brown at Gas Systems Stove co who sold the conversion parts for Regal CNG stoves, but when I called the number it was disconnected. 714-891-2411. Isn't that a SOCAL number? Any of you folks in SOCAL know of Gas Systems Stove Co? I really don't want to buy a whole new stove to convert but I am not seeing anything on the web on Regal stoves...

u079721

Contributing Partner
Out of business?

Ted,

I found a couple of references online to Gas Systems Inc. going out of business back in '98, but now being revived as Seward Products (http://www.seawardproducts.com/), so you might try giving them a call.

In another post someone with a GSI stove was able to by a $92 conversion kit for the stove from a place called Horizon Marine in San Diego, so that could be another lead.

If you ever plan to venture further away from home than a week or two you will need to replace the CNG. We used most of our two tanks in our annual 4 week cruise, so it worked out OK for us. But much longer and we would need a third tank or a refill, which you just can't get easily anymore. Even when you can find them it's close to $50 around here. One tank lasts about 20 burner hours, so depending on how much you cook you can figure out how long the single tank will last.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan C

Plan C: (if you do not mind having me spend your money for you...)
Start over with an Origo 6000 stove and oven. That's what Ericson put on our boat in '88. No remote tanks, no pressure, and mostly all SS construction. Still works so good that our initial plan to convert the boat to LPG went to the end of the list and then fell clear off....
:)
A friend sourced one of these at a great deal from Defender last year, FWIW.

Well, it was just a thought....

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8
:egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Refresh me but the Origo is a nonpressurized alcohol stove is it not? Did you say 3 burner with an oven? How effecient is it and how much do the stoves run? I grew up with alcohol stoves but I always had to pump the tank up as a kid. I have heard many good things about the origos but I always wondered about how they ran compared to lpg.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Origo general info

The Origo range is non-pressurized. Each burner is a separate reservoir of alcohol, as is the one in the oven. BTU's are lower for alcohol than LPG which is, in turn, lower than kerosine. It boils the water and cooks our meals with no problem, though. We have, over the decades, cooked with butane, Kerosine, LPG, and now the Origo range for the last decade. Note that this stove is a two-burner with oven. No external tank, no pressure, no hassle. (IMHO)
:)
Here is one of many links for a vendor with a decent price...
http://www.swego.com/mall/range_6000.asp

Best,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Joe Benedict

Member II
Origo

When I bought my boat the stove/burners had been taken out and we had extra cupboards and an insert in the counter. Where I keep my boat I also have shore power. Since I didn't plan on providing multi-course meals to lots of people (an e38 may be a different story) I opted for the Origo Alcolhol/Electric stove top. Got it on eBay. I would suggest you take a look at what your culinary desires (and skills) are. Since the boat has an Atomic 4 I also wasn't looking for another problem. The stove works well and at the end of the day I really feel like having someone else cook. Just as a side note - at the last Strictly Sail people were fascinated by this new invention - the pressure cooker. I've lived long enough that the old has become the new.

chaco

Member III
LPG Appliance Conversion

You only need to change the (1) gas oriface that feeds the appliance valves.
LPG is Specific Gravity 1.4...CNG is SG .85...Air is SG 1.0
LPG is heavier that air and has more BTU per Cubic Ft.
So...the oriface needs to be SMALLER. Check with the MFG for an LPG oriface.
Should be a common part.
Of course you need all the LPG System Safeties.
Airtight Tank Locker
Solenoid Shut-Off inside Cabin
LPG Monitor at floor level
CO Monitor / Fire Detector
And most importantly....commercial level valves, fittings and hoses.
LEAK TEST ALL CONNECTIONS with 50%water/50% dishsoap in spray bottle.
Clean off ALL SOAP solution with water in spray bottle. Soap residue is
CORROSIVE and will cause premature fitting failure.
Get the parts from an LPG Supplier...not Home Depot or ACE !
The fittings and hose are also available at Industrial Hydraulic Suppliers. Fittings are SAE Flare...same as used on hydraulic lines for Backhoes.
Gas Hose needs to be USCG Rated with factory compressed fittings.
The custom hose/fiittings can be made at all Industrial Suppliers.
DO NOT use barb fittings with hose clamps for gas feeds. OK on VENTS.
Support ALL hoses tight to structure every 12" with NO sags.
LPG has proven to be a very dangerous installation in the WRONG HANDS.
That is why the parts are not readily available at Retail Outlets.
Some states require a Plumbing License just to buy the parts due to liability !

A successful installation can be done by working slowly and being methodical.

Good Luck

Dan
S/V Merlin
35 II
Oceanside, CA :egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks, thats exactly what I was planning on doing. The problem is that the company that made the Regal Stove is no longer in business. Also there is not simply one valve orifice that feeds all the burners, at least not on this stove. I will need new orifices for the 3 burners and the oven. I have a friend who is an excellent machinist and we could very easily make our own new orifices if I knew the correct size. It's not really any different that re jetting a carb, in this case we are going down in size. I have access the the appropriate hose, connections, valves, solenoid, sensors etc. Just not the stove specific parts. I dont like the idea of spending $1000 for a new stove just to convert... At this stage I'm leaning towards keeping the CNG now that I know I can get it locally. At least for now, down the road when we do more long range cruising I will do the conversion. I would like to pick up a second CNG tank for now too but I guess thats for another list on the site.