• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 38 -200 Backstay through pulpit?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Today I stepped the mast after replacing all the standing rigging, compounding and waxing, rewiring etc. The backstay where it attaches to the stern is run outside of the pulpit but rubs some on the pulpit. This was the case with the old rigging too. I cant tell if the shroud should actually run inside the top of the pulpit. Any e 38 owners know which way theirs runs?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Inside...

Our hydraulic connects up under the top rail on the stern pulpit. It still bumps a little there, but would be bent at a really weird angle if it was over top. If you put a load on it outside, I'm guessing the pulpit will give eventually.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks guys. Everything is really coming along nicely with the boat. I just have to sand and paint the bottom, reinstall my rubrail, launch, align engine, calibrate wind instrument, bend on the sails and off we go! Look out Chesapeake Bay...

oceandreams89

Member II
Ted,

Ours runs inside the top rail of the stern pulpit as well. There is a 38-200 in our marina in Mystic, CT that had his pulpit cut out and a square stainless opening fabricated where the backstay adjuster rubs. Now his adjuster is in the clear and looks great without rubbing. Ours will catch on the pulpit on occasion whan backing off the tension. I usually have to help it past the stainless by giving the backstay a light tug when the coupling is passing the stainless. I have been thinking about the same pulpit mod for us. Whoever did it made it look original.

Todd