• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Mast removal

Tom Smith

Member I
I'll be unstepping the mast on my 1975 E-27 for the first time, and need some advice on what needs to be done beforehand.

Specifically, what trim piece do I take off to get to the antenna and electrical wires. Once I get to the wires, is there anything I should do with them (besides unplug the connectors)? Is there anything else I should do before letting the boat yard hook on to the mast?

Also, I'll be motoring back to my club from the marina with the mast on deck (about 3 miles). Any thoughts on the best way to make a cradle to support the mast in transit, as well as for the winter?

Thanks for your help.

Tom Smith

MarioBie

Mast removal

Tom,

I have E26 with deck stepped mast, so taking it down doesn't present major problem. I'v done it with additional help right at the dock. My antenna, lights, wind instruments cables exit at the bottom of the mast and connect at the deck level to the corresponding cables in the deck. Not much science on my boat.
I am not sure about your configuration and the trim you talking about, but I wouldn't recommend transporting the mast on your boat. Even if you are lucky enough not to dive after your mast slides into the deep, good chances are you will damage it while maneuvering around the marina. I've done that once and it cost me $ 600.00 to replace wind instrument ( while turning to the well
the top of the mast hit the post at the dock.
I would suggest letting the yard to the work.

Good luck
Mario

Tom Smith

Member I
Mario -

Thanks for the advice. I don't see any wires coming out of the mast, so I assume they exit the bottom plate and go directly into the cabin. I still have to find where the plugs are located, and how much play there is in the wires.

As for not transporting the mast on the boat, I may not have an option. The marina said their mast rack was already full, and I don't want to put a 34' mast on top of an 18' SUV. I've thought about having the mast sticking out over both ends of the boat, and I know its going to be a problem, both getting out of a very tight marina, and also at the clubs launch pit (we can handle 35' boats, so I hope I'm okay). I plan to prebuild a couple of cradles to rest the mast on once its down, so it won't be rolling around while I'm motoring back home. Talk about a rock and a hard place!

Tom Smith